IH vs. CCC identification

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Am I correct in thinking that the only difference between a red and a yellow 82 series cub cadet is a portion of the serial number? Looking at a yellow/white 82 series tractor and would like to paint it red. I suppose I could anyway, but just thought I would ask.

Re: IH vs. CCC identification

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:22 am

Yep, that's it. Red ones have the black/white decals, where the yellow/white ones had the blue/black decals. Someone REALLY has to know the serial numbers to identify if it was red or yellow/white. I know a lot of folks that take the yellow/white ones and repaint them red just because they like them.

However, that's not a real indication of IH-built -vs- CCC built tractors in the *82 series. All of the IH built *82 series tractors had cast iron rear ends, which were painted red, and the whole tractor was painted red. There were no IH-built *82 series tractors that were painted yellow/white.

After IH sold out to Cub Cadet Corporation (MTD), there were a few years where they had the same model tractors available in red or yellow white. ALL of these tractors have aluminum rear ends that were painted black from the factory. If you're looking at yellow/white *82 series tractors, they are ALL built by CCC, and none were built by IH.

Re: IH vs. CCC identification

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 am

The yellow and white models were sold at the Cub Cadet dealerships, while the red models were sold at the IH agriculture dealers only. The red models are to have a black front axel, and the aluminum trans gear even though they were badged IH.