This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carburetor Kits/Rebuiler for Kohler Engines

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Carburetor Kits/Rebuiler for Kohler Engines

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:28 am

Hey guys. I've got a few Cub Cadets I've rescued and plan on getting running to donate to my aunt, and keep a couple for myself to mow the lawn with. The models I have are as follows: 100, 104, 105, 124, 128, and a 1200. I am going to need to rebuild the carbs on most of them, as the ones that run only run with the choke 95% closed. They also leak gas badly. Being familiar with the Farmall Cubs, I know there is a "good" and "bad" Carburetor kit for those. Are the kits out there for the Cub Cadets (Kohlers) the same, "good" and "bad" ? We actually let a guy rebuild our carburetors for the Cubs because he is a machinist and specializes in those carbs. Is there a good (recommended) person to rebuild the Cub Cadet carburetors? I really would like to rebuild these myself if it's not too much in-depth. I have also signed up for the Cub Cadet Collectors forum to get some help over there, but am awaiting approval. Any help, advice, information, etc. here on this site is very appreciated!

Edit: I asked about getting a kit (tractor parts supplier on eBay) for the Kohler K261 (10 hp) and K301 (12 hp) engines, and he said he has to have carb. number to get it. Were there different carbs?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Carburetor Kits/Rebuiler for Kohler Engines

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:00 am

Carburetors on the K series Kohlers are dirt simple.

As far as I know there is only one carburetor for the K241 (the 10 hp engine) and K301 engine, the Carter "N". Kit number is 7-02024 - might be an old number from NAPA and Federated.

I use the Kohler carburetor kits from the auto parts store. Work fine. Kits are stocked or available with next day service.

You may not need any carburetor parts, typically they just need a good cleaning.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Thanks Eugene for the information. So both size engines use the same carburetor kit ? Also, the reason I asked about the carburetor kit being a 'good' or 'bad' kit is because I'm familiar with the Tisco kit for the Cub that ain't worth a dern! It seems like I bought a kit for a K301 a couple years ago when I thought I would get one running, but as I recall it still leaked gas and didn't run that well. I did buy it on eBay (the cheapest kit I could find). Are you saying the kits from the parts store are the best ones to use?

Also, what about the short little fuel line from the sediment bowl? I have one of those leaking badly that isn't sealing up tight on the carb. Can I get a replacement line from the parts store as well?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:14 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:So both size engines use the same carburetor kit?
The part number I provided is for all of the Kohler K series engines, and some of the KT and M series engines. The K91 (4 hp engine) may use the number I provided or part number 7-07056 if it's a Walbro carburetor.
Are you saying the kits from the parts store are the best ones to use?
I don't know about best, but I have never had a problem with their quality.
What about the short little fuel line from the sediment bowl? Can I get a replacement line from the parts store as well?
Metal fuel line is not listed in the auto parts store parts book. Typically, if I have a problem with the fuel line, I removed the sediment bowl, install a ball type valve, inline filter, and gas line hose.
AL Farmall Boy wrote:It seems like I bought a kit for a K301 a couple years ago, but as I recall it still leaked gas and didn't run that well.
Leaking carburetor is usually a fault in the needle valve and set area. You can bench test by placing assembled carb top upside down on bench. Plastic hose attached to carb inlet - pour rubbing alcohol in the hose.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Thanks so much Eugene, all of your advice really helps alot. I'm gonna go to the parts store this evening and pick up a few kits!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Eugene,

I got some kits for the Kohler carburetor (carter) from the local auto parts store. They are the Prime Line brand. I noticed that the gasket that goes between the carb and the air cleaner plate isn't in the kit. Is it supposed to come with that gasket? The gaskets on all of the Cub Cadets I'm trying to get going are all "shot" and need new ones. If it isn't supposed to come with that gasket, where would I get one; or is it something I could make out of gasket material?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:02 am

AL Farmall Boy wrote:I noticed that the gasket that goes between the carb and the air cleaner plate isn't in the kit. Is it supposed to come with that gasket? Where would I get one; or is it something I could make out of gasket material?
Air cleaner gaskets are separate from the carburetor kits.

Take you air cleaner base or old gasket to same store you purchased the carburetor kit. Your gasket is probably one of these two numbers.

7-02586 comes in package of 5 each gaskets.
7-02587 comes in package of 5 each gaskets.

You could make the gasket yourself. But, I suspect that if you need more than one gasket it will be just as cheap to buy a package.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:16 am

Thanks Eugene. Yeah, I'll just buy some. I would have thought it would have came seperate since when rebuilding a carburetor, it would be needed to be replaced also. I'm almost certain they'll have to order it just like they did the kits, so I will look up online and give them a call to order. Thanks so much.

Edit: The cheapest I have found them is $1.29 each (noone seems to have them in a pack of 5). Both parts stores I called also will have to special order them and it will take 7-10 days to get them. I really wish I could have it back together before I leave out in the morning. You'd think someone would carry these type parts......especially this time of year! Maybe a home=made one is what I will have to do.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:49 am

The carb kits I have purchased (Kohler) don't have the carb to engine gasket either, you may want to have a few of those on hand if your kit doesn't include it either.

Good luck!
David

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:07 am

dgrapes59 wrote:The carb kits I have purchased (Kohler) don't have the carb to engine gasket either.
Prime Line catalog shows 2 carburetor to block gaskets:

7-02537 for package of 5 each.
7-02550 for package of 5 each.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:32 pm

My Prime Line Carb kits came with a small and large block-to-carb gasket. I just needed the large. I've decided to just order the carb-to-air cleaner gasket becuase I need some new air filters and none of the parts stores seem to know what I'm talking about when I ask for one, so I'm just gonna order. I gave them a part number and they looked puzzled when they looked it up as if they've never seen an air filter like that. (shaking my head)
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:43 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote: I need some new air filters and none of the parts stores seem to know what I'm talking about when I ask for one, so I'm just gonna order. I gave them a part number and they looked puzzled when they looked it up as if they've never seen an air filter like that.
Might just be the parts store employees. Depending on which air cleaner you ordered it fits some; Kohler, JD, Woods, Gravely, Tecumseh and Wisconsin applications. Could also fit Onan and Massey.

Local Federated parts store has the air cleaner hanging on the wall. If I need more than one air cleaner I take the one hanging on the wall and order another one. Next day delivery.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Cub Cadet”