This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pulley starter generator

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Pulley starter generator

Postby Eugene » Sun May 08, 2005 11:31 am

12 volt Delco starter generator. How do you remove the belt pulley? Is the pulley threaded to the shaft?

Soaking with solvent and a gear puller doesn't work.

Thanks

Eugene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sun May 08, 2005 2:10 pm

Take the nut off the shaft and the pulley should pull off. I have taken them off by hand. Most are keyed to the shaft. You said "solvent" doesn't work, if it is stuck/rusted use a good penetrant like PB Blaster or Kroil, give it time to work and it should come off.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Pulley starter generator

Postby Eugene » Sun May 08, 2005 2:34 pm

Thanks Paul.

Just double checked. There is a key way in the pulley. It looks like the pulley has been staked to the shaft at some time. As I said before, I tried the gear puller and holding the pulley and rapping on the nut - nothing.

I'm currently soaking it with solvent. If things don't loosen up in a couple of days I'll put starter/generator front cover in the arbor press - something will give.

Thanks again.
Eugene

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Sun May 08, 2005 2:46 pm

If your generator is like mine the bearing on the front plate is held in by a (rather flimsy) sheet metal cover. be careful or you will destroy it.
The pulley has a key and the shaft is tapered at the back of the pulley, perhaps you could carefully file around the end of the pulley at the shaft to remove the burrs.
Good luck!

Return to “Cub Cadet”