This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering progress

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Steering progress

Postby Chris Jones » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:24 pm

I finally found a rebuildable steering gear and after inspecting it I decided to replace the bearing races or cups. I went to the local Cub Cadet dealer but what they brought me out didn't match what I had. It seems it is a newer style. Mine is a very curved cup while the one they brought me has straight sides and flat bottom with only a small curve between. I wish I could explain the differences better. I can email a picture of the one I need if you would like to see it. The newer style is pictured here:
http://ccspecialties.org/bearingcup_small.jpg
If I use the new style it will not be supported in the case and adjusting plug as it should be. I'm sure some of you are familiar with the two styles of races used and perhaps could tell me where to find replacements for the older style. I think the part number I need is IH-379405-R1.

Thanks,
Chris

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:23 am

Chris: there are 2 different retainers used on all the NF steering. I am looking at the parts break down and the top & bottom retainers are 379405 R1 and the the 2 bearings 389 081 R91 and between the 2 bearings 2 retainers 389 082 R1. It sounds like you are missing the 2 middle retainers. I can E-mail you the parts breakdown on the steering if you need it.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:40 am

I think I have the same parts breakdown as you do. The problem is that at IH the computer tells them that 379405-R1 is not available and refers them to another part number which doens't fit.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

steering gear parts

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:45 pm

I just purchased parts to repair the Ross steering sector on a Cub Cadet from an IH/Cub dealer. Everything I needed to repair the sector was purchased at one time. All parts were available. The bearings, retainers and races/cups came in one package, a kit. I would ask for another parts man.

Eugene

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:55 pm

Like Eugene said, ask for a parts counter person that knows something, and then ask for a kit, P/N IH-71930-C91. It has the upper and lower bearings, retainers and cups, and is about $7.00. If you try to buy P/N 941-3021 retainer and ball assembly, it is about $10.00 for just one.

Return to “Cub Cadet”