This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering shaft length

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Steering shaft length

Postby Chris Jones » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:16 pm

I hope someone here can confirm that I am measuring my steering shaft correctly. Total length is 27.5 inches from bottom of the gear box to top of the shaft. Is this how they are commonly measured? Mine is a 102 model.

Could anyone tell me what other models share this length?

Thanks,
Chris

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:59 pm

Chris
Let me go through this again. You can measure the steering shaft/box any way you want to, as long as you measure the replacement the same way. The box is the same on all the IH Cub Cadets except the Original or first model. The tube that is a press fit into the top of the steering box becomes the steering column, and the shaft the steering wheel goes on is inside the tube or column. The difference in the steering assemblies between some models of tractors is the length of the steering tube and the inner shaft. The shaft is 2" +- 1/8" longer than the outer tube or column.

The easiest way to measure it is if you will measure that tube, from where it fits into the steering box, to the top of the tube, including the collar. That is the length the replacement needs to be. If the steering column assembly is in the tractor, it is easier to measure the tube length, than it is to measure the overall length. The following models use the same part number steering assembly: 70, 71, 72, 73, 100, 102, 122, 123. The tube, from the top of the box to the top of the tube, is 19-1/4", and the shaft is 2" longer. These measurements are +- 1/8". Other models will have a shorter column because of the dish to the steering wheel.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:12 am

Chris: The part number is IH 401277 R1 and since it is listed in the TC-113 it is probably available at dealers.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:15 pm

Yes, it's still available but it's too rich for my blood--$250!

Dave Hull
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38506
Tractors Owned: Cub demo

Steering Box

Postby Dave Hull » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:44 pm

Chris I can put you in one much cheaper, call me 765-426-2555
dave H

Return to “Cub Cadet”