This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Selling Value- Cub Cadet 106, 1971

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
shellsanibel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48083

Selling Value- Cub Cadet 106, 1971

Postby shellsanibel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:21 am

I'm thinking about selling my Cub Cadet 106 (1971). I got it from my grandfather's estate and he kept all of his things immaculate. I have used it a bit to cut the grass, and it's clean, and in good shape. It has a small dent in the hood and needs a new battery from not using it. I hate to sell it, but I really don't have a use for it, with a small yard and I need the money. Can you tell me how much you think I could get for it? I don't know much about this stuff and I don't want to get ripped off. I can post some photos if necessary.
Amy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Selling Value- Cub Cadet 106, 1971

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:31 am

Suggestion. Check craigslist for your area.

Price range, depending on condition and extra attachments. Probably $200- to $450-. Based upon what running Cub Cadets sell for at auction in central Missouri. Non running, complete Cub Cadets, parts tractors, can be purchased in this area for around $100- give or take a bit.

Now for you problem. No battery and the tractor has not been running for a while places the tractor in the area of a parts tractor. Is it worth you time and money to put the tractor into running condition?

First area I check when purchasing a parts Cub Cadet is the condition of the mower deck spindles and blades. One bad spindle is around $150- in parts to repair.

Just providing my opinion. Probably not what you are expecting or looking for.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:30 am

Eugene wrote:
Now for you problem. No battery and the tractor has not been running for a while places the tractor in the area of a parts tractor. Is it worth you time and money to put the tractor into running condition?

Bingo. Eugene hit this one right on the nail head. You wouldn't believe the number of people trying to sell a garden tractor/lawnmower/atv/car/truck/boat/etc. that say, "It only needs a battery."

Yeah right. If the owner is too lazy to put a decent battery in the power vehicle to be sold, just what else are they neglecting?

Not trying to be mean, but you should be able to see the logic here. Cheap is cheap and it gets you nowhere unless you have an unsuspecting buyer. As they say, "Buyer beware!"

Most people enjoy turning the key and hearing a machine roar to life. I've sold more pieces of powered equipment that started up quickly than I ever have power equipment that didn't have a good battery/charging system in them.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:06 pm

Yea, as SundaySailor said, a tractor that doesn't run (or cannot be started) is basically a parts machine. A couple of years ago I was rebuilding a Cub Cadet 124 (one series older than yours, and 12-hp gear drive instead of 10). The one I was restoring ran, but needed some parts. I paid $100 for it and drove it on the trailer. While working on it, I had two separate individuals call me and GIVE me a Cub Cadet 105 (10-hp hydro) and another 124 that was in parts. Both engines turned out to be good. Starter generators were good, transmissions were good. If someone had taken the time to put a battery in them and get them running, they easily would have been $200 machines. Lucky for me though, they only cost me the gas to go pick them up, about $20 total for the two.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:26 pm

I wouldn't say that one that doesn't run or can't be started is basically a parts tractor, but in that condition it should affect/lower the price. I have bought a lot of Cub Cadets that did not run at the time of purchase, but were running/using tractors within a very few minutes after getting them home.

red56turbo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52742
Tractors Owned: Check out my signature!

Postby red56turbo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:45 pm

I agree with Paul. You go into a cub purchase buying a nonrunning as if it's a worse case scenario. Unless I have time to pull the plug and turn it over by hand checking for compression, I deal with the seller as if the engine won't run. I, too have gotten cubs home, tuned 'em up, fresh fluids, and drove them around in roughly 30 minutes. I've also got them home and they knocked or smoked like a freight train. Coin flip on buying nonrunners and I price accordingly.

If you want to get the best bang for your buck, fresh gas and oil, carb clean, new plug/tuneup, and even a used battery to try to get it to run. You'd do better with a running cub, even if it still needs some work, versus a "ran years ago" cub.

Good luck.
Tractors in the stable: '62 560D Cub Cadets in the stable: 782D, 1572 SGT, 1772 SGT, 1782 SGT

Return to “Cub Cadet”