This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Kohler Engine ?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rvbarkley
10+ Years
10+ Years

Kohler Engine ?

Postby rvbarkley » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:10 am

I was given a 105 and an "extra" Kohler K-241. Thought I would rebuild and install. when I pulled the head the piston had a .030 stamp on it. So looks like its been repuilt 1 or 2 times before. Piston does show signs of "slap" so assume it needs bored etc. (Very little compression also)
Question: .030 is largest oversize listed, are there larger pistons available somewhere ? Is the block wore out ? Should I Just save usable parts and scrap the rest ? Thanks, Roger B.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:23 am

The biggest rebore I have seen is .030. Have you checked the size of the piston in the motor that is currently on the cadet :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:59 am

Make sure the piston skirt is not broken and creating the slap.

For the most part, .030 is the max bore. However, some K241, 10 hp blocks can be bored to the 12 hp K301 size (1/8"). Most used the same block casting, and if you look at the block behinf the PTO clutch you may see the #301 cast into the block. The K301 does have a 3/8" longer stroke, so I am not sure if the wrist pin is in the same location on the 10 and 12 hp pistons, but I believe you can bore and use the K301 piston and the K241 rod, but you should do some measuring of parts beforehand, to verify this.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

K241

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:01 pm

I would hone the cyinder wall then mic everything to see where I was at. You may be able to get by with a new piston - some where around $40.00.

As far as scraping the unused parts, I would keep everything. Kohler engine parts, blocks and cranks, are hard to come by and expensive.

Another opinion.

Eugene

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Couple more thoughts

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:20 pm

Perhaps my spelling will be better this time - probably not.

1) Back in the old days we used to have pistons knurled (spelling) at the local machine shop. Knurling expanded the skirt.

2) You might check with Brian Miller's Garden Tractor Pulling Tips (that's a web site).

3) If there is enough meat left in the cylinder wall area you might be able to have the block machined and a dry sleeve inserted.

Love those Kohler engines.

Eugene

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:18 pm

You can E-mail Brian Miller at PullingTractor@aol.com (web site)http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/a1miller.htm and he can tell you everything you need to know about the Kohler K-241.If you need any machine work done on the engine, I would recommend him to do it.

Jack Fowler

Return to “Cub Cadet”