This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Adding a little one....

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N
Circle of Safety: Y

Adding a little one....

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:08 pm

I ran across this Cub Cadet 100 a few days ago and couldn’t pass on it. I have been thinking I wanted one…

It appears to be in pretty good shape and came with a 42” mower, rear hitch and tire chains. It runs good but won’t stay running, so I guess a carburetor rebuild is on the list. The steering is also loose and the front wheel bearings need replacing, and I am sure I will find more, but will have fun fooling with it.
Attachments
Cub Cadet 100 7 7 11 008 (Small).jpg
Cub Cadet 100 w 42" mower
David

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Adding a little one....

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Nice little addition to the line up David. So how goes the hunt for a bigger place to call home? You gotta be getting close to full by now. :D
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:25 pm

Nice looking machine. I have found that on the ones I have bought and they would not run or run good, I have just taken the carb apart and gave it a good cleaning with carb cleaner and compressed air. They have worked fine after that. I cleaned the gas tanks also. As far as the steering replacing the tie rod ends will take a lot of play out of it. You can get some ends at your local mom & pop auto parts house. 3/8" fine thread on the ends.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Barnyard wrote:Nice little addition to the line up David. So how goes the hunt for a bigger place to call home? You gotta be getting close to full by now. :D

Thanks Bill, I guess I need to step up the bigger place hunt, but that might be a little dangerous to my wallet! It is a good thing I am good at tetris for the time being!
David

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:19 pm

JimT wrote:Nice looking machine. I have found that on the ones I have bought and they would not run or run good, I have just taken the carb apart and gave it a good cleaning with carb cleaner and compressed air. They have worked fine after that. I cleaned the gas tanks also. As far as the steering replacing the tie rod ends will take a lot of play out of it. You can get some ends at your local mom & pop auto parts house. 3/8" fine thread on the ends.

Thanks Jim, I plan to rebuild the carb as soon as I can, I got it to run longer when I piddled with it but it has a fuel issue and will need to be rebuilt I am pretty sure. Hopefully gitractorman's dad has one in stock :D will find out in the morning. Some research showed that there might be 4 different carbs for the 100, so hopefully I can sort that out as well. It is missing the sediment bowl, I would like to get one back on it. Previous owner said he cleaned the tank out, it looks pretty good, but he also installed an in line filter and some plumbing that looks a bit rigged. Fuel line on both sides of the filter are clear and fuel is flowing so I think the issue is the carb.
Unfortunately I think the steering is in the shaft and gear housing, that is where it appears to have the play, most of the ends have been replaced. I found a "how to" on rebuilding it on another site, haven't studied it yet, but hopefully within my abilities. :D

I am sure I will be posting some dumb questions as I fool with it.

Thanks,
David

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:27 pm

The hardest part about rebuilding the steering sector is removing the steering wheel.

When you go the Case/IH or Cub Cadet - get the kit for the steering sector. The kit is much cheaper than buying individual parts. CRS - I think the kit cost me in the mid $20- range. But that was several years ago.

Try some fuel line cleaner in the gas tank. Might help clean up the carb.
I have an excuse. CRS.

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 pm

If you are planning on buying a carb kit, I would go ahead and take the carb apart and clean it and put it back together with the old gaskets. I have had good luck doing this. Just be careful with the fuel bowl gasket and pull it off slowly. I have taken three carbs apart, cleaned them, and put them back together with no new parts and have good results. I haven't had to buy a carb kit yet, knock on wood.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Nice looking new toy.... :D Warning these can be habit forming too i have 10 cadets now and 6 are running.

http://www.gokartgalaxy.com has the front wheel bearings that are sealed on both sides and i have had better luck in using these over the way more expensive CC front wheel bearings. In the steering play there is a big nut on the side of the steering level where the drag link connects. Sometimes a quick check to see if its tight or snug will help take some of the play out of the steering box.

Go to; http://www.gokartgalazy.com click on bearings, go to the #8273 bearing there 3/4' x 1 3/8" and its $5.95 each you need 4. Then look at the #8204 bearing its 5/8" x 1 3/8" for the top of the steering box to replace the plastic sleeve bearing. This is a cheap bearing and its ok for the steering box but i wouldn't use the same bearing on the front wheels with the 3/4'' bore. One stop shopping i like it.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Nice find. Nice looking machine.
"I ain't believing this!"

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dgrapes59 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Well, I finally had a little time to play with it. I rebuilt the carburetor before the Tug. I just did a quick clean on the tank, it had some crud in it (sprayed with pbBlaster, shook nuts and bolts in it for a while then cleaned and dried it). I wanted to go back to a sediment bowl but got impatient so got a kit with a petcock / strainer and inline filter, figured that would work for now. New air filter and fired it up, ran pretty good, need to do some adjustments, the engine runs strong, no smoke!

I attacked the loose steering, took the shaft out, took apart and cleaned and inspected, all was pretty sound so I straightened the lever plate, it was warped a little and put it back together, all went pretty smooth and it helped a bunch! Now a little stiff so I may have to back off the lever bolt a tad.

I drained the transmission but the fluid looked new, so I put it back in! I took it for a test ride and it ran pretty slick, especially for a 47 year old machine!

Wheel bearings next, thanks Big Bill, I will give them a try! Also, you are right, I see a few more of these in my future, they are fun to play with and don’t take up much space.
David

Return to “Cub Cadet”