This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No Compression.

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

No Compression.

Postby Eugene » Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 pm

102 CC, it quite running after mowing about 1 1/2 acres. Block is not damaged.

Good thing I buy Cadets for parts. The replacement head has been in a parts box for about 18 years. New head gasket should be in the auto parts store tomorrow afternoon.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Froghunter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19938
eBay ID: bull829

Re: No Compression.

Postby Froghunter » Tue May 17, 2011 9:26 pm

The wife's eight horse CCO did the same thing, but I caught it before it errored the head.

Good Luck!

Bill
3 x CCO
CC106
CC1450 (Donated to School to use)
CC104
Case 644 Compact Loader
Case/IH 235

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Yikes! What would have caused that?

Just another testimony why to not throw anything away! :D
David

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Tue May 17, 2011 9:36 pm

The 129 I am using for the front of Artie had the similar problem. Seen a puff out of it and pulled the head and the gasket was just starting to go. Replaced gasket and it is good to go now.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue May 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Really don't know. Tractor was running fine when we hauled it last Sunday. Yesterday son was mowing when tractor quit. He had mowed about 1 1/2 acres of fairly tall grass when the tractor quit. Guessing the head gasket went quite rapidly.

Trying to think back. I do not belive I have ever had the head off of this tractor. Owned it for 10 or more years. Engine gets regularly serviced. But never removed the head to remove carbon. Not an excessive amount of carbon build up on the piston or head. Replaced the main tractor clutch and drive shaft last year. No engine work.
I have an excuse. CRS.

dhermesc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dhermesc » Wed May 18, 2011 9:55 am

I had a 1450 do the same thing. The engine was rebuilt in 2004 and ran fine until last winter when I was getting an aircompressor sound. I pulled the head and the gasket looked just like that while the head was still fine. I guess I should have retorqued it after a couple hours of running but I never did - all that tin works makes that simple job a PIA on a Quietline.
Freedom is for those that claim it.

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Wed May 18, 2011 10:53 am

I would have thought it would quit running before it damaged the head that bad. I've seen lots of gaskets blown but nothing like that. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri May 20, 2011 10:08 pm

It's a Kohler. Blown head gasket are a common problem with the Kohler "K" series engines, and always in the same place regardless of what model (horsepower) the engine is. When you replace the gasket, make sure the head surface is flat (it will probably need to be trued up). If it is not warped too bad you can true it up by rubbing it on some sand paper taped to a flat surface such as a piece of plate glass. Move the head in a figure 8 motion. Sand it until the "black marks" are gone using 220 and 320 grit paper. When you put the head on the block, torque the bolts in the sequence Kohler specifies in the service manual, then run the engine until it reaches operating temp, let it cool down, then torque the bolts again. Not torqueing the bolts the second time will just about guarantee the gasket will blow again in fairly short order.

Return to “Cub Cadet”