This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Kohler CH11S timing flywheels and crank shafts

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gussuk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99507

Kohler CH11S timing flywheels and crank shafts

Postby gussuk » Sun May 08, 2011 10:42 am

Ok I'll be honest this engine is not in a tractor but you guys seem to know quite a bit about Kohler engines so I have a question.
I recently aquired and repaired a CH11S that had a broken crank shaft. The PTO end was broken off no internal damage. In an effort to save some money I purchased a different crank shaft off of eBay. I used the TP-2179-B crank shaft manual to make my selection. This book seems to indicate that the internal and flywheel end of these crankshafts are the same and the differences are only on the PTO stub.
I sold the engine to a guy to use for a log splitter. It starts and runs good with no load on it but once he connected it up to his hydraulic pump it won't start at any throttle position. I had him try a larger battery thinking it wasn't turning fast enough due to the external load. This didn't help. He tried higher octane AV gas fuel. Still din't help.
This got me thinking about timing. I looked up the engine code the used crank came from and the original spec number and found the two of them use different flywheels. I still have the original crank the broken one and it looks like the flywheel key slot is even with the rod journal so making a leap I figure the timing is in the key slot in the flywheel. If the timing is somehow late that should create a loss of power and an extra high exhaust temperture as the combustion whould still be under way as the exhaust valve opens.
This guy lives 2 hour drive from me so I haven't been able to check anything except via remote control through him.

So here is the question. Would I have a timing problem due to the replacement crankshaft?

Original engine spec CH11S-16102 The crankshaft came from CH12.5-1939
Original crankshaft 12 014 30-S new crankshaft 12 014 32-S and I think it was from a tractor application

I can provide a ink to the crankshaft manual if anyone wants it.

Thanks
Steve
Anchorage, Alaska

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Kohler CH11S timing flywheels and crank shafts

Postby wdeturck » Sun May 08, 2011 2:46 pm

Hard to answer your question about timing because no way to know if your using points and coil, points & Magneto or just electronic ignition. Points on most Kohler's run off of cam and the timing marks happen to be on the flywheel.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun May 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Is the log splitter hydraulics under load or partial load when cranking over the engine?

And another thought. The key holding the flywheel to the crankshaft has been damaged or split - flywheel slipped on the crankshaft.

No easy answer here. Suggest having the guy seperate the hydrualic pump from the engine. Then try starting the engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

gussuk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gussuk » Sun May 08, 2011 6:09 pm

there are no points and he says the hydraulic system is open center so it shouldn't have any load on it.
i'm mostly interested in why the parts lists show a different flywheel for this crankshaft.
since there are no points i'm guessing the timing is set with the key slot in the flywheel as the broken crankshaft i have here has the slot at TDC with the rod journal.

gussuk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gussuk » Sun May 08, 2011 6:18 pm

the crankshaft manual is here.
http://www.stevesgarage.net/Kohler/Kohl ... erence.pdf
the crankshafts for the CH11-16 and CV11-16 start on page 75.
i get the impression the internals and flywheel ends are all the same. only the PTO end is different between the different types.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun May 08, 2011 7:40 pm

According to the reference the crankshafts are the same except for the pto end.

I mentioned the partially sheared key between the crankshaft and flywheel - 3 tries, 3 keys and much consternation to get the flywheel snugged up tight enough to not partially shear the key upon start up. Kohler Command series.

Replace the key and engine would run great, number of engine starts. Then engine wouldn't start. Key was partially sheared.

Don't know if this is your problem. The only way to find out is to remove the nut holding the flywheel.

On the key in the crankshaft/flywheel. Measure the slots with a caliper reading .001's of an inch then obtain the key.
I have an excuse. CRS.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Tue May 10, 2011 8:29 am

The engine ran before it went to the log splitter so the key should be OK. Is there any wiring to the log splitter? He may be grounding the magneto by connecting the kill wire to the wrong place :oops: It sounds like it doesn't even make spark?
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue May 10, 2011 2:57 pm

From Kohler CH 11 - 16 Service Manual

Engine Cranks But Will Not Start
1. Empty fuel tank.
2. Fuel shut-off valve closed.
3. Dirt or water in the fuel system.
4. Clogged fuel line.
5. Spark plug lead disconnected.
6. Key switch or kill switch in off position.
7. Faulty spark plug.
8. Faulty ignition module.
9. Choke not closing.
10. Faulty oil sending unit.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm
Section 8 is the electrical wiring diagram for the engine.

One other problem I had with the Kohler Command series is a wire coming unpluged on the back of the switch.

If all else fails, check the flywheel key. Make sure it's the correct size. Briggs and Stratton
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Cub Cadet”