This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Original wheel bushing upgrade?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253
Circle of Safety: Y

Original wheel bushing upgrade?

Postby Pony Master » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:15 pm

I had the front wheels and tires off of my wife's original so that I could paint the inside of the rims and mount some nice new 3 rib tires. While they were off I noticed that the bushings had a few cracks in them and were worn. Is there a better solution than new bushings? Perhaps a bearing like the others use?
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Original wheel bushing upgrade?

Postby Paul B » Sun May 01, 2011 6:06 pm

To my knowledge, a bushing is about the only answer. The ID of the hub is 1-3/8" which is the same size as the the narrow frame models, HOWEVER, the Original spindle is 7/8" in diameter and the other models that use bearings have 3/4" diameter spindles (until the later models with 1" spindles). The bearings will fit in the Original wheels, but won't fit the spindles. The only answer I know of is to bite the bullet and buy the new bushings. Just be sure you line up the groove in the OD of the bushing with the grease zerk in the hub before you press them in. I will say that I have a set of Original spindles on a custom built Original that someone reduced the diameter of the axle part of the spindle to 3/4" and I use bearings in the wheel. I don't know who did it, or how they did it. Since the spindle is "L" shaped, I don't know how it could be chucked up in a lathe and turned down, so I assume it was ground to size between two grinding wheels. The part that fits in the front axle was left the original 7/8" diameter.

Return to “Cub Cadet”