Free 128

Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:38 am

My chance to post about bringing one back to life. I was given a 128 and it looks complete. It's been raining so I didn't even get a chance to see if it has the added window in the block. I have had good luck getting engines that sit around started and running and I hope this can be fixed up for a workhorse grass cutter so I can retire my 73. It got a decent 42" deck on it.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:31 am

I tried to start the 128 yesterday. It has compression(I need to check how much) and I put a battery in it and won't turn over in start position, so I put my battery jumper on the starter and it turns over. Shot gas in the spark plug hole and put in a new spark plug. I put the key on on and turned it over. I was getting spark(has a spark tester in line) but it never gave a putt. I can usually get them to try but I have to go back and check compression and go from there. I was reminded that these new fangled tractors have safety switches and that is why the start didn't work. I own Originals.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:07 am

I always love hearing one of them fire off after being saved from scrap. Sounds like you are close to getting this one resurrected!

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:40 am

I'm not familiar with 128, but that early did they have any safety switches under seat, on pto, brake pedal, etc.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:25 pm

John's right...my Model 73 had a switch, underneath near the tranny, that I had to bypass in order to get it started :( . With that "safety switch", you couldn't even get the engine to turn over :cry: . BUT, if you take a 3 inch piece of wire, strip off each end about 1/2 inch, and run it in a loop from one side of the contact to the other...BINGO...the engine started right up on the first try :D !!! Then tape it in place with electrical tape and your "switch-free" :wink: !!

Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:09 am

I did go out and check out the safety switches and there are 2 on this one.
One on the clutch brake you by pass by locking the break and one on the PTO. The PTO one is out of adjustment and I must pull back on the leaver to get the engine to turn over. I think it's a compression problem as it's spinning to fast. Might get lucky and have a stuck valve which happens to Kohler's. Most everyone runs Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) mixed with the gas for that reason. I think the seat safety switch starts in quiet line models.