This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Let the rebuilding begin......

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Let the rebuilding begin......

Postby BigBill » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:53 pm

A while back i picked up a 124 cub cadet with a hole from the rod exiting the block behind the s/g. I just picked up two bare 12hp blocks, plus i also picked up a 12hp short block too. Its time to start rebuilding kohler engines now. I have the boring setup I purchased a while back and all the over sized pistons/gaskets already. I'm planning on installing new valve guides and valves at the sametime too. If i don't have a good crank i'll change the crank and go with a new rod at the sametime too plus new crank bearings. I want a brand new engine when its all done. Did i miss anything??

I'm going to remove the 10hp kohler engine from my 100 cadet and install the 12hp engine in its place. Then i can rebuild the 10hp engine to put on the shelf ready to go for another tractor when i need it.

I been thinking about porting them a little on the stock engines and going all out porting the pulling engine at the sametime. They do breathe much better when there ported. Bill

BTW; Once the 12hp block is all apart i will weld up the hole were the rod came out of the engine if it didn't crack or take a piece out of the cylinder. I can weld a piece of steel sheetmetal over the hole to the castiron block.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Merk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Let the rebuilding begin......

Postby Merk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:09 pm

by Big Bill
I been thinking about porting them a little on the stock engines and going all out porting the pulling engine at the sametime. They do breathe much better when there ported. Bill

First thing to do is check class rules if this is an organize pulling class. Some pulling classes don't allow porting.

I would replace the governor gear (if it was plastic) too.

dhermesc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dhermesc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:05 am

I second the governor gear replacement - even if it’s metal. A 124 is about 40 years old, if the rest of the steel parts are worn I would expect the governor gears to have similar issues. While they are much more durable than the nylon gears Kohler used on “later” engines usage and years are working against them – the last time Kohler used the steel gears was well over 30 years ago. All these engines have seen a lot of use (and abuse) in that amount of time. If might be overly cautious, but failure means pulling the entire engine apart. Catastrophic failure could destroy the engine although it’s pretty rare.

If the gears are plastic I would definitely replace it as standard practice. If the engine has seen enough wear that the metal parts are worn out the nylon parts are definitely worn out.

The last K301 engine I overhauled did have a "chunk" taken out of the lower cylinder wall when the rod let go. I did a little grinding on it to make sure it didn't scar the piston skirt but does not seem to have effected operation at all.
Freedom is for those that claim it.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:07 am

"I would replace the governor gear (if it was plastic) too."

Merk,

Good to see you around again. As far as the quote above, thanks for that too. When I had my 12 HP Kohler rebuilt earlier this year, the machinist suggested the same thing though the gear looked good. However, 35+ year old plastic does get brittle. No need to had a "do over" because of something like that.

BTW, I really appreciate the helpful suggestions you gave me in the rebuild of my 1200 Cub Cadet. Wish I could buy you a cold adult beverage of your choice.

Cheers!
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Merk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Merk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:52 pm

by Sunday Sailer
Merk,

Good to see you around again. As far as the quote above, thanks for that too. When I had my 12 HP Kohler rebuilt earlier this year, the machinist suggested the same thing though the gear looked good. However, 35+ year old plastic does get brittle. No need to had a "do over" because of something like that.

BTW, I really appreciate the helpful suggestions you gave me in the rebuild of my 1200 Cub Cadet. Wish I could buy you a cold adult beverage of your choice.

Cheers!

Sunday Sailer
Thanks for the offer of a cold adult beverage.

Glad I was able to help. Last Spring I was lucky to work 30 hours a week. I'm now working close to 60 hours a week. The only part I'm not thrilled with is having to be at work by 5 am. I'm not complaining.....did some work around my house and Cub funds are looking good.

I do reuse metal governor gears. Some pulling classes in my area are limited to a max of 4000 rpm (pulling group will check). I don't run any motor with a cast iron/factory flywheel, crankshaft and connecting rod above 4000 rpm. I saw the end results when a flywheel comes apart. Parts of it went through the frame and metal siding of a work shop. Not a pretty sight.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Merk; maybe the stock parts need to be balanced better? I know that age/time takes it toll on the old parts. They need to be replaced when we can.

I've seen the clutch pressure plates go thru the stock bell housings and rotate under the dashboard like a UFO for a split second then exit up the out the car. Not a good thing to see. Its when we do upgrades pass the limits of the stock parts. A scatter shield becomes very a very important piece of safety equipment along with a block saver plate.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Merk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Merk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:41 pm

Bill

The motor was balance. The owner was told not to use a stock flywheel. The owner rev the motor up to 4500 to 4800 rpm whem the stock flywheel let loose. The clutch wasn't connected when it let loose. I was taught that the stock flywheel on small motors and farm tractors should not be run above 4000 rpm.

All the pulling groups in my area require a scatter shield on the clutch and and on the motor.

Spend the extra money upfront and get the needed safety parts.....not as we can.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:51 pm

Trust me safety equipment is good and used as required for sure.

We had a large diameter gas filled shock let go on the test stand oneday it was cycling while it was filled with 200psi of nitrogen. Someone didn't line up the ports when it was assembled so it let go on the test stand. I never seen I-beam and large channel bend so easily. Luckily the guy operating it had all the shields inplace at that time and no one was hurt. These 6' long gas filled shocks are used on the 155mm howitzer we built for the US army.

I hate three things and i'm afraid of them too. Its ghosts, bullets and electricity the three things we can't see comming our way. In the elevator business we used the larger DC motors for testing the smaller motors on the dynamometers. We would couple the two motors thru a 200,000 in.lb. torque transducer. If you ever been in a low level lighting storm thats what happen to us. We were in the test lab room with this dyne when the DC amature flashed over. It actually arcs over the whole armature were the brushes are. Its like having a lightening storm hit right besides you. Of course the day is over for you when that happens. Not good, ghosts, bullets and electricity for sure i hate them when there in my direction.

Return to “Cub Cadet”