Where to buy parts

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:38 pm

I need to get a voltage regulator for my 1985 Cub Cadet 1282. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:41 pm


Call Ken Updike. He will get you what you need. :wink:

Voltage Regulator

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:41 pm

Local autoparts store. Just purchased one for a 106. Cost $55.00 ouch.

Parts Found

Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:14 pm

I found the parts I was looking for at some tractor supply shop in Vermont. Got the regulator for about $46, and a brake return spring for about $4.

After I ordered the parts, I found a Case - IHC dealer 20 or 30 miles west of Chicago. Anyone know if the Case - IHC dealers are stocking parts for these machines?

Another question - My 1282 has been sitting in storage for 15 years. Someone suggested I change the trans fluid. Do the experts here agree? Do I have to use the HyTran fluid, or is there a substitute I can use that might be in any auto parts store? Hoping to try and start this old machine up this weekend! Can't wait!

Thanks in advance, Keith

Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:31 am

It's like oils, everyone wants to use something different, and there are other brands that SAY they meet the EVERY tractor company's specs, but I would stick with HyTran (not the new synthetic type). Cub Cadet dealers also sell it under a Cub Cadet name, but at a higher price. I buy it by the 5 gal bucket and use it in all my Cub Cadets, gear or hydro.

Hy Tran is hydroscopic (sp) meaning will absorb water, and ALL Cub Cadet transaxles, hydro or gear drive, will collect water if from nothing more than condensation. Take the rear cover off to drain the old, and be prepared for a 7 quart or more flood of fluid when you do. Clean out any waxy, yellow/brown stuff clinging to the walls, which is the moisture the Hy Tran has collected, change the filter on the front of the case and be sure you use a HYDRAULIC filter and not an oil filter that fits - they are different enternally and you will soon have transmission problems if you use an oil filter.

A Case IH dealer may have parts for your Cub Cadet dealer, if they also sell Cub Cadets, but not all Case IH dealers stock and/or want to sell/order Cub Cadet parts.

thanks to everyone

Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:37 pm

I can't believe how helpful and friendly everyone here has been! Thanks to all for the help and advice.

I talked to the Case/IHC dealer just west of Chicago, and they stock and ship Cub Cadet parts. Lucky for me - UPS ground will be next day because they're so close! The filter and HyTran is on it's way.

Again, thanks to everyone. Have a great holiday!