This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

108 engine noise

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Denis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Skype Name: deniscub
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular
1946 Farmall M
1948 Farmall H
1948 Farmall B
1952 Farmall Cub
1971 Cub Cadet 108
1939 Minneapolis Moline UTS

108 engine noise

Postby Denis » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:28 am

I have a Cub Cadet 108 that I use to cut my grass with. It is in good condition and runs very well. I have one problem though that I cannot seem to trace. Although the valves are set correctly there is a loud " loose tappet noise" all the time. The sound is there when idling or at full revs. Any suggestions as to what it could be.
Thanks, Denis
Fortunate to live in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:01 am

It could be a camshaft knock (too much end play), a loose flywheel. loose PTO clutch/pulley, or a rod knock. It could also be the the mule drive bracket. This is the front bracket that the pulleys for the deck belt are mounted on. The rear of the mounting arms of this bracket, the slotted part, that slips over the two "Frankenstine bolts" in the outside of the frame, will vibrate or knock/rattle against the bolts and/or frame. With the engine running, just put a little pressure on the side of the bracket and see if the noise stops

Scott C
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scott C » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:06 pm

Denis,
I'm not a gear drive guy but it could also be the clutch plate, there are anti-rattle springs for the clutch.
See if the noise changes when you depress the clutch also see if it changes when you engage or disengage the PTO (PTO's are notorious for a "rod knock").

Return to “Cub Cadet”