This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

want to build a sod-cutter

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bandit86
10+ Years
10+ Years

want to build a sod-cutter

Postby bandit86 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:04 pm

I have a whole bunch of rollers and metal lying around, and need to level out some of the yard that's sloping to the house and I thought it would be a good excuse to drive my lawn tractor, if I had a sod cutting attachment.

anyone done this? I thought maybe a 18 x4 inch matal, about 1/4 thick sharpened on one end, angled so it'll want to dig, some roller in front of the blade to set depth to about 2 inches and attach it to the tractor.
1220 cubby

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: want to build a sod-cutter

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:47 pm

Uncle had a home made sod cutter quite similar to what you described. Roller was adjustable and just in front of the blade. Actually the sod cutter was made to work with a 3 point and for a tractor with down pressure on the hydraulics.

It worked ok. Not as good as the commercial ones with the moving shear (shearing action).
I have an excuse. CRS.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:17 am

If you get 2 coulters off of 2 plows and get a cultivator frame and use down force from the 3 point it will be easy to cut the sod. Might have to add weight to get it to cut better. Some of those harrows had wheels and you can use them to set the depth. If you can find seated coultetrs they cut better than the round coulters. If you don't need it that often you can rent sod cutters.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:21 am

I just built a sub soiler/ripper using a single tooth from the 3pt box setup from TSC for my int154. It rips thru sod and pulls out surface rocks too. I'm going to add one on my cub cadet too.

I was at the local dump and got lucky. I found the drum setup out of a chipper/shredder still intact with the shredding teeth. My mind went to work upon its site and i figure to remove the shredder teeth that are bolted on and make a gravel leveler for my driveway by staggering the teeth on some heavy angle on both sides. This will also work on dirt too after the sod is removed.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

bandit86
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bandit86 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:41 pm

mine doesn't have a 3ph I might put some weights on it to keep it down
1220 cubby

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:29 pm

bandit86 wrote:mine doesn't have a 3ph I might put some weights on it to keep it down
If your getting into digging up sod you might want to get the 3 point hitch. The older Cub Cadet NF & WF can be bought used.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Return to “Cub Cadet”