This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ignition Timing on K161S 7hp engine

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cub61
10+ Years
10+ Years

Ignition Timing on K161S 7hp engine

Postby cub61 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:20 pm

Does anybody know how to set the timing on a K161S 7hp engine??? People tell me to remove the starter to see the timing hole behind the flywheel so that way I can shine the timing light at it. But my question is how can I set the timing on an engine if the starter has been removed. The reason I'm interested in checking the timing is due to the fact that the engine sounds a little advanced on the timing. If any of you guys have ever been to a tractor pull you have probably heard how the engine on a modified 2wd pulling truck sounds. It has that constant pattern of high to low rev at low idle. Well, that's what my K161S 7hp engine is doing at low idle. But it runs nice and smooth at high idle. Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :? :?:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:16 pm

Static time the engine.

The flywheel is marked with a T (TDC) and S or SP indicates the spark or spark run point - 20 degrees before TDC. The points should just begin to open at the T mark. Point gap is .020. and can vary between .018 to .022.

The timing marks can be seen through the hole in the shroud.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:33 pm

I would just start setting the points at .020 and then .021, .022 till it sounds good. I have used .020 on all my 7 HP cubs and never have a problem. The pulley on the flywheel has notches so you can start them with a rope. I just looked at that picture and the starter is just unbolted at the bracket and rolled down. I just looked at my Original & 73 and it looks like they will roll down far enough to see the hole, so take out the top bolt and loosen the bottom bolts and hold tension on starter to start it and push starter n and knock off belt and roll it out of the way. You may have to take the wires off the starter but you can jump start it with the A terminal.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Return to “Cub Cadet”