This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A lost cadet owner!

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MADDOG355
10+ Years
10+ Years

A lost cadet owner!

Postby MADDOG355 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:06 pm

I recently got a complete cub cadet 104 with mower that needs alot of TLC. to start with it won't fire and I am completely lost on the little engine :? where should I start? I changed the plug but am afraid to go any further till I know more about that I am dealing with.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:46 pm

If it's been a while since it ran, I'd clean and re-gap the points. Might as well change them and the condensor too while you're in there. Do you know if you have any spark at all?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

MADDOG355
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MADDOG355 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:56 am

I have no spark at all, and where are they located at on this thing? Where can I get them? Are they the same points that fit a FCub? Also it has a condenser mounted on the side of the coil. Could the problem be the coil? or possably a wire? Shoulden't there be a hot wire going to the coil? I haven't really messed with it much but I am going to try to get it going later today and want to cover all the bases.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:14 am

What engine is in the 104? I believe a few voltage checks will tell you what is happening. One side of the coil should have battery voltage with the switch on. The other side should show battery voltage with the points open and zero volts with the points closed. Start there and see what you have. If you can, slowly turn the engine over by hand to check the side of the coil connected to the points. That's also a good way to locate the points, just follow the negative lead from the coil to the points.
If you have the model number from the engine, you should be able to find points at any good auto parts store or cub cadet dealer, TSC etc.
To answer your question, yes, it could be the coil, but there are other more likely sources for the problem which are cheaper fixes as well.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

MADDOG355
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MADDOG355 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:59 am

After my last post I worked on it some. found the points (amazing how easy these things are in the daylight) and cleaned them I am getting voltage to the points but still no spark. so I will go into town later and try to find a set of points.

as for the motor it is a 10hp kohler model k241a

Tedd Ill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tedd Ill » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:54 pm

Is th key on, or should I say is the key switch working?
The points should be set to .020, the plug to .025.
Make sure that the coil is right.
Contact Binder for the manuals.

Madson's Service can help you on the parts.
(920) 773-2661
Had a '57 Lo-boy, and loved it!! Will have another...
Always looking......

MADDOG355
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MADDOG355 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:04 pm

I picked up the points and condenser today (they didn't show my motor but they were the same) and now it runs better than I expected! I am having another problem now that I wil make another post.

Return to “Cub Cadet”