This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front bearing trouble(rims) ???

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Front bearing trouble(rims) ???

Postby BigBill » Sat May 12, 2007 6:52 pm

Ok i have a few front rims where the wheel bearing is loose in the rim. I tried to pein it smaller and pressed in the bearing but it only became loose again.

I noticed on the inside of the rim where the last owner cut away part of the rim flange were the bearing goes into to get some new metal to hold the bearing. It seems to be tighter and ok but it also makes the hub width smaller at the sametime. The bearing bore on the outside part of the hub is loose too now. I was thinking of doing the samething on the outside bore to get the bearing into the tighter new metal to hold the bearing snug too. Now the hub will end up being anywhere from a 1/2" to 3/4" shorter in width. I was thinking of cutting a piece of 3/4" pipe to add a spacer to the inside of the rim on the axle to make up for the loss of width on the rim hub. If this spacer can be held on the tight side of the width it should be ok and like new again.

Has anyone ever done this?

When i seen the wheels wobble I purchased all new wheel bearings and i found out today its the bore in the rim hubs that oversized and the wheel bearings are ok.

This is my last problem that i can see between my 3 cadets that i have left to fix besides the clutches. I'm just giving them a quick going over before restoration just to see if there is any other problems ahead of me.

I guess problems with the front rim hubs is the norm too with cadets. So its blown head gaskets, front rim problems and clutch problems so far.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun May 13, 2007 7:42 am

I should of been more clear; :idea:

If you take a die grinder and remove the front area were the bearing is loose thats about 5/16" wide area off the hub it gives a tighter spot were the bearing can be pressed into. If this is done on one side or both sides we then need a 3/4" ID bore spacer to make up for the lost width on the hub. I think this is a doable fix for loose bearings in the hubs what do you think? :D

Or is there another way of fixing it other than replacing it? :?:
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun May 13, 2007 9:06 am

My thought. Just go to the local small engine shop - look through their junk mowers. You can probably pick up a rim and tire for $5 to $10.

On the bearings. I have had to replace the bearings - infrequently. I did purchase a cheap bearing - didn't last very long. The IH supplied bearings are much better quality.

Front rims. I did purchase a parts Cadet with one wallowed out rim. The bearing was bad. Guess the previous owner was to cheap to replace the bearing.

Or as in my wife and daughter's case. Whine, crunch, thump, squeel. As long as it's still moving everything is OK. Or if I'm going to run an errand and the wife says "Honey take my vehicle". I know it's out of gas or something ain't right.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Sun May 13, 2007 6:06 pm

Your wheel is probably junk anyway so why not J.B. weld a set of new bearings into the hubs? My Bolens is going into its third season with J.B. bearings.
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.