This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Head gasket and head bolts.

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Head gasket and head bolts.

Postby Lance Leitzel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Ok, another question on my 72. I took the head off to replace the head gasket. Couple of questions:

1) is it ok to reuse these headbolts (they look to be in good condition) .
2) does anyone use anti-seize on them, or do I just put them in dry and torque them according to the procedure in the manual. Also I've seen some notes of 20 Ft./Lbs. being used as the torque instead of 200 in/lbs. Any suggestions?
3) what is the best way to clean the carbon up?
4) other than making sure the head is true (by sanding with 320 grit on flat surface) anything else I should check while I'm in there?

Thanks - Lance
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi Lance.
Here is a link http://ihregistry.com/manuals/kohler/kservice.pdf to the K series motor that should cover most of your questions on the heads. I use a wire wheel or wire brush in a drill to clean the carbon.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:05 am

I just torqued my head to 20ft.lbs. slowly I snugged it first evenly then went to 10ft. lbs first then to 20ft.lbs. Then run it for a while then retorque it again to 20ft.lbs. thats why the head gasket blows out there not retorquing it. My 70 headbolts were loose and it was a new replacement engine.

BTW; I been wondering about replacing the headgaskets on every cub cadet i get so i know its right from the start. We can be sure its right and do it up front. Change the headgasket and tune it, change the oil/air filter, tranny oil/grease it and were good to go.(check the steering and adjust the brakes too)
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lance Leitzel » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:45 am

BigBill - Yeah, I was really surprised how loose the head bolts were on my 72. No wonder is was oozing oil and crud out of the front. It is nice how easy it is to get to the head on them.

wdeturck - Thank you for the link. The kohler manual is much better than the IH one in giving details. I'm rather surprised the IH left out the retorque of the head bolts after running it once.
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)