This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Question about my cub cadet 72

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Question about my cub cadet 72

Postby Lance Leitzel » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:00 am

Hi Everybody - I'm now the happy owner of a cub cadet 72 and I have a question.

I'm in the process of trying to replace part #4 in the diagram. It is the lock for the Release Rod. Does it get pressed in from the outside of the handle? or am I just going about this all wrong?

Thanks - Lance
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:32 pm

I just went out to lok at my 73 and the #4 on mine is missing also. did you buy the part?
Part ID: IH-401449-R1
Description LOCK ASSY-RELEASE
The price was over $16.
I only use my 73 for cutting grass and the brackets have enough float so you don't use the button. My guess it goes from the inside out as that goes in a hole so the lift is always floating. Must be a spring on it so it pushes out.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:50 pm

I did end up buying the part. Yes, I agree it is pretty steep for the part. I'll take a picture of it if you'd like. I too want to use the 72 for mowing and the like.
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:28 pm

Hi Lance: is there a spring associated with it? A picture would help. If that goes from the inside out you might have to drop the rock shaft to get the plunger out of the way? There aren't to many implements that require you to need the button.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:11 am

Well, good news and bad news. Bad news is the picture didn't turn out, good news is that I figured out how to do it. Here's the procedure that worked for me.

Remove parts 1-3 (see diagram) then with latch in the disengaged position press #4 in with channel locks. NOTE leave #5 in position when doing this, otherwise you'll have to pull #4 back out and do it again. :oops: Once #4 is done, then put 1-3 back into position after the deck is latched in one of the stops (you need the rod up for that part.)

Then as you are typing this, realize that I might have put part #3 in the wrong place and run out to the shed to make sure I did it right. :lol:

Basically #4 is a spring loaded button then when the button is pressed a small notched rod extends at catches the notch on #1. Just be careful with the channel locks that you don't push to hard and hurt the button return spring. :roll:
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

Return to “Cub Cadet”