This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How to change spark plug wires in a 1872?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DoOver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1772 Cub Cadet
154 Lo-Boy Cub
AC WD
AC B
IH Super M
2-70 White

How to change spark plug wires in a 1872?

Postby DoOver » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:02 am

My hard starting turned out to be a bad spark plug wire. Do I have to remove the engine to change it? I have to fix this today.
Thanks
Brian :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:09 am

You shouldn't. A spark plug wire only goes from the coil to the spark plug. Your 1872 has two spark plug wires, but they still only go from the coil to the spark plug. The plug wire will pull out of the coil the same way it pulls off the spark plug. Why would you think the engine would have to be removed to change either one? It is possible there may be some engine sheet metal or cover that has to be removed to gain access to the coil or wire routing.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:45 am

Brian: one side of that coil is bad and it is mounted under the flywheel. It may be easier to pull the engine than getting to the flywheel. Here's the bad news
KH-52-584-02 MODULE-IGNITION W/ 90.22

I looked at that coil and I should have seen that it was on the outside of the flywheel. I worked on to many B&S.
Last edited by wdeturck on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:24 pm

Your 1872 should have a Kohler Magnum 18 , twin cylinder, horizonal engine. The ignition module (coil) is under the blower (flywheel) housing, but on the outside of the flywheel, on the side of the #1 cylinder barrel. If you dont have an engine service manual go here http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecata ... fam=Magnum , and click on the Service PDF for the M18-M20 engine. Section 8 of that manual covers the electrical system including the the ignition module.

DoOver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1772 Cub Cadet
154 Lo-Boy Cub
AC WD
AC B
IH Super M
2-70 White

Postby DoOver » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:21 pm

Yup that's the engine Paul. But I can't get to the coil unless I pull the engine because of the flywhell side of the tin. I pull up on the wire and it help for a while because the wire was grounding out on the cooling tin. This morning I went to Napa and bought a new spark plug wire boot and right angle conector. I cut off the old boot and found that the carbon spark plug wire core was burnt back. The Cub have never run so good. Has more RPM and idles right. All along I was thinking the eratic running was the carb. Check your spark plug wires boys.
PS I can not beleive what a hard working machine this is. I moved snow with a blower that a truck could not move.!
Thanks
Brian

Return to “Cub Cadet”