This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

lug tires

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chuck Melburg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61469
Tractors Owned: Cub 1949, 1963
Cadets 2 Originals, 100,108
3 100 manure spreaders. One is fully restored.

lug tires

Postby Chuck Melburg » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:10 pm

Need some advice. I have been plowing snow with my 108. It has chains and weights. how do chains work out on lug tire? Or should I just leave the chains on my turff tires and put lugs on the front for better steering? Thanks CHUCK
I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:35 pm

You'll get mixed answers on this. Many prefer chains on the turf tires over chains on lug tires. Chains on lug tires tend to allow the chains to fall down in between the lugs/treads, not providing as much grip. When the chains are on the turf tires, all of the chains protrude past the tire tread, giving the most traction.

One trick that many overlook is to use narrower tires with chains for snow plowing, then wider tires for summer use. The narrower tires with chains will give you less tire surface area touching the ground, which provides more pounds per square inch (PSI) on the ground, giving you a better bite in the snow/ice, and better traction. The wider tires will work better in the summer, giving more surface area touching the ground, which provides less PSI on the ground (less traction), and leaving fewer tire tracks in the yard.

As for front tires, many to use the lug tires to help with steering. I personally have never thought that this was much of an issue, and always just used the ribbed tires like came on the CC tractors when new. There is really not much you can do if your are pushing on ice, as the weight of the snow typically pushes the front of the tractor around quite a bit. If you are using a snow blower, you can usually lift the snow blower slightly, to give more down pressure on the tires, and better steering.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Snotzalot
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Snotzalot » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:42 pm

I use a set of chains on the fronts too for steering.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:01 pm

I'm not too sure how thick the front tires are but on my quad 4x4 and my winter dirtbikes when i was still riding I used the smaller ice screws in the tires. Some even used 1/4" hex bolts leaving the bolt sticking out with the nut on the outside too. They put an extra cut inner tube to protect the tube from getting flat from the hex head on the inside. With the ice screws on ice on a dirtbike i had better traction on the ice than on the dry dirt with just the knobbies. I never fell on the ice so it would improve the traction greatly on a tractor too. The only drawback is don't rip shots with it. I sheared both front keys on my polaris 4x4 quad with ice screws on the front. Having two sets of tires for the winter and summer setup for ice for the tractor would be something to think about. I started out with small hex head sheetmetal screws before i went to the ice screws and they worked too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:44 pm

The shear weight of the snow tends to push the front end of any C.C. in the opposite direction of the angle of the blade. I tend tp keep my blade straight and just rough out the driveway. Then come back with the blade angled to clean up.
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:49 pm

Even my CJ7 v8 with the plow angled would be pushed in the opposite direction too a little. Lets face it they lack in the weight department even with the v8 it did. I try to push with the plow straight as much as i could. My older CJ5 tractor with the extra weight and 4 sets of tire chains is a lot better. I made a smaller 2 1/2 ton front bumper for it too with 6" channel with 4 x 4 x 3/8" angle for plow rails under it too. I added as much weight as I could to it.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:50 pm

Funny you should mention narrower tires for plowing. In the winter of 1960 61 I worked in Alaska adding communication ability for the Balistic Missal Early Warning System (BMEWS) At 1 point we stayed at Paxton Lodge which at that time was the entrance to Mt Mc Kinley. We were adding L Carrier to an Existing Microwave Tower located on the top of a mountain. Origionally we had been transported up be a guy with a WWII surplus weasle, atracked vehicle. When his contract was up he "went outside". This today would be known as a snow bird. The practice of many construction people and suppliers was to winter in California or Oregon. Any way the Alaska highway Department took on the job of clearing the drive. Sometimes we would only have a couple of hours befor we had to leave with road closing in with snow again. I asked 1 of the drivers why he had skinny single wheel on the rear and not duals. His reply was I'll show you, hop in. He used a 4WD dump truck. It was an experience not to be forgotten. 40 to 50 miles an hour with the front blade down, the wing plow down and snow flying 50 to 70 yards off the side of the road . He said he got better traction that way. You have to leave room for the next storm. I was convinced.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Cub Cadet”