This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet Original clutch

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Cub Cadet Original clutch

Postby Scott » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:11 pm

My 63 had been sitting on the trailer for almost a month. took it off the trailer today and when you press the clutch down it does not stop the driveshaft. What could be causing this?
Thanks
Image On To Bigger Things

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:23 pm

Scotty - the clutch disk is probably stuck to the flywheel surface. If you can safely start it and drive it around with the clutch pushed it, it might break free.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:57 pm

Scotty,

When my Cadets do that if they don’t break loose like Bigdog says, put the clutch pedal in the release position than, use a long handle punch type tool, put one end of the tool on the clutch pressure plate or clutch face plate (see picture were red spots are) and tap the other end with a hammer. Don’t hit the clutch plate. It should release.

Leadfoot
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Leadfoot » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:29 pm

Scotty: I take it you didn't have the clutch pedal 'locked down' during the time it was on the trailer?.
To unstick the clutch on an Original, you need to lock the clutch pedal down, and using a flat blade screwdriver, pop the rear pressure plate apart from the friction material that is on the back side of the drive belt hub. Once the rear plate is free, pop the front pressure plate away from the friction material that is on the front of the drive belt hub. 8)

The clutches on Originals almost always stick when not used for extended periods, and the clutch is left engaged.

Bigdog: The engine on an Original is mounted above the frame, and the clutch is underneath the frame...it is a different type of set up from what you are describing.

Jack F. Your picture is of a NF clutch set up. They are different from an Original. An Original doesn't have an exposed friction plate..the friction material is on each side of the hub that is turned by the drive belt, and the friction material is pretty much the same size as the pressure plates are. A punch will most likely not be effective for 'unsticking' the clutch on an Original.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:46 pm

I didn’t know that. I thought that was the original design from day one. :oops: Thanks Leadfoot for the info.

Jack

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:31 pm

Thanks LeadFoot 8)

I Printed your post went outside and loosened it up. It was very easy. I drove it for a little bit then parked it with the clutch petal locked.
Image On To Bigger Things

Leadfoot
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Leadfoot » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:30 pm

Jack: No problem 8) I'll get a picture of an Original clutch tonight and post it, so you will know what I am talking about. The NF clutch is the same basic idea, but slightly different :D

Glad to help Scotty. 8)

Leadfoot
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Leadfoot » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:13 pm

As promised, here are the pictures.

This picture of an Original clutch is what you would see if you looked under the right side of the tractor frame. The drive belt from the engine (which sits on top of the frame) would be in the grooves of the drive hub.

Once you lock the clutch pedal down (which removes the spring pressure on the rear pressure plate) take a flat blade screwdriver, and pop the back pressure plate loose from the drive hub.

After you have released the back side, then pop the hub free from the front pressure plate

Hope this helps.....

Return to “Cub Cadet”