This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gas out of air cleaner?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Gas out of air cleaner?

Postby Findoggy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:52 pm

So, I have another problem. After I run my CC model 73 there is a steady drip of gas coming out of my air cleaner. Does that mean that my carburetor needs to be rebuilt? Tractor starts and runs fine with no problems other than this. What do you all think? Findoggy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:36 pm

If you are lucky it's just a bit of debris under the needle valve.

Kohler carburator kits are fairly inexpensive. The carb is very simple, I'd go for the rebuilding.

Eugene

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:41 am

Do you turn your gas off when you shut your tractor off? if debris is causing that it would leak when the tractor isn't running. It may be an intermittent thing caused by a dirty gas tank. Those sediment bowls don't filter well enough to stop getting dirt under the needle seat. I would take the gas tank off and put a handful of nuts in it and wash it out and shake it with jot soapy water. If it got a bad case of rust inside you may have to coat it. I had to do that to my one tank. The nuts are hard to get out and I use a magnet to get the last couple out. I would also rebuild the carb as it is easy. Check the throttle shaft for wear also as they get worn and leak air.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:08 am

Thank your both for the response. No, I hadn't shut the gas off when i turned the tractor off previously. I do, however, turn it off now, and that seems to stop the leak. The gas tank is a new plastic replacement tank (old one had a leak) so there is no rust or sediment bowl. I'll get stuff for the rebuild. Never did a carb before, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks again. Findoggy

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:38 am

I had the same symptoms on mine. Turned out the carburetor float had a hole worn in it. It filled with gas and sank. I drained it and soldered the hole shut. If you find that problem, use as little solder as possible the fix it. Too much solder will affect the float level.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:28 am

Use a soldering iron and not a torch. I had to do one of my brothers corvette. It was fuel injectedand the low pressure side was leaking.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

TractorLarry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TractorLarry » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:52 am

Kohler carb kits inexpensive? I don't know about that :)

$50 might be inexpensive, but you sure don't get much.

I recently rebuilt the carb on my Command-18 in a CC 1864.

In the kit was about 8 O-rings, a spring, a needle valve, float needle, and the 4 screws for the top bowl.

They didn't even include top or bottom gaskets.

That was about $3 in parts.

-Larry

Eugene wrote:If you are lucky it's just a bit of debris under the needle valve.

Kohler carburator kits are fairly inexpensive. The carb is very simple, I'd go for the rebuilding.

Eugene

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48701

Postby R Bedell » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:27 am

The CC 73 had a K-161 Motor in it originally. If you have that, then the Carb Rebuild Kit is #25-757-01 and that has a MSRP of about $12.25

The Carb Kit is pretty straight forward when used in rebuilding. The primary issue is, it being CLEAN. Make sure all passages and jets are clean & open.

I found that adding a "inline" fuel filter stopped issues of this nature when I was finding debris in the Valve Seat.

All the above suggestions are good and also should be considered.

Return to “Cub Cadet”