This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1535 starter

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cubkid
10+ Years
10+ Years

1535 starter

Postby cubkid » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:20 pm

I have a 1986 cub cadet 1535 with a 15hp kohler magnum twin cylinder , and I need a starter for it. I was just wondering if I'm going to have to pull the motor to yank the starter. Some dude told me that sometimes you have to do that with those '80s model cadets. The starter is on the bottom left between the frame and the motor, it's a pretty tight fit. So if you CC experts can let me know I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

also, to make sure it's the starter that is bad and not the solenoid, how would I go about putting live juice right to the starter to kick it?

Thanks again,
CUBKID.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Re: 1535 starter

Postby Scott » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:06 pm

cubkid wrote:
also, to make sure it's the starter that is bad and not the solenoid, how would I go about putting live juice right to the starter to kick it?

Thanks again,
CUBKID.

take a jumper cable and put the pos terminal on the starter and neg to ground
Image On To Bigger Things

cubkid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cubkid » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:14 pm

oh thank you. hopefully its the solenoid but I already replaced that last year, haha.

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:09 pm

Could be a bad switch too. I know that screwed with me one time a while back. I replaced everything but the thing i should have looked at first.... :lol:
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:21 am

Some of those starters need to be kept clean as the Bendix part tends to clog up. Clean that up and use the dry lube on it. When you check the starter put the + lead on the terminal and touch the ground lead to a good ground as there can be a large spark that can damage the threads on the connection.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

cubkid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cubkid » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:02 pm

'twas a clogged starter, i guess. i blew everything out real good. it works now. haha, im so glad i dont have to put on a new starter...yet.

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:00 am

Here is a funny one along these lines. My friend's father has a really beat up CC 782 he uses to mow his campground. He broke the mule drive belt, and replaced it with a new one and when he went to start the engine afterwards it would not crank at all and he thought the battery died, but everything was fine until he replaced the belt. He tried to jump start it, but when attempting to crank the jumper cable clasps sparked like mad and the battery cables got really hot. He was sure the starter was dead and my friend called me to look at it as he knew I had some used KT engine starters hanging around.

I looked at it and knew there was a short somewhere, and disconnected the battery cables and measured the resistance with my DVM. When I activated the solenoid on with jumper power, it was a dead short across the battery cables. I disconnected the solenoid, and checked it. No problems there. Only things left were the starter motor and the positive wire to it. I decided to check the starter next. I pulled the left side cover, and quickly found that one of the bolts to the engine shrouding came out, and shorted the shroud against the positive cable nut on the starter :P Problem solved with a new bolt for the shroud. My friend's dad must have bumped the shroud just right when replacing the belt to cause it to short as it looked like the bolt was missing for some time.

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

Return to “Cub Cadet”