This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

123 or 1250?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

123 or 1250?

Postby Findoggy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:51 am

Anyone have strong opinions one way or another as to which I ought to pursue? I know they're both hydros (with Sundstrand units) with 12 HP engines and that the 1250 is a quietline. Other than that, are there any big differences. Both would be free to me. The 1250 comes without an engine and I don't know anything else about it, as the tractor is something that someone offered to my father. The 123, on the other hand does have an engine, but I'm not sure if it works or not. It is buried about waist high in weeds. Sheet metal is good, with just some surface rust, but i couldn't see a lot of the rest of the tractor. Let me know your thoughts and/or opinions on this one. Thanks! Findoggy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48701

Postby R Bedell » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:53 am

There are two areas of concern for me of which both will spark a debate.
(A) The 1250 is a WF Cub. From my experience, I think a WF Cub is easier to work on. The motor area as well as a removable tunnel cover are plus's in my book. (B) The 1250 is a Q/L Series. If the motor mount system is properly installed and maintained, they offer a smooth ride. The big issue here is knowing and taking care of this system.
Obviously, the 1250 is newer and thus will have some updated features.

In defense of the 123, it was Cub's first Hydro and that model is sought after for that reason.

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:06 am

hey there free get 'em both :lol: :lol:
Image On To Bigger Things

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:55 am

If I opted for the 1250, would the engine from a 12x series tractor work with it, or were there other things different since it is a WF tractor? Thanks, Findoggy

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:21 am

Fin:

Any 12HP Kohler from a Cub Cadet will bolt in.

With the Q/L series, the Kohler's made a couple of changes. (A) They had provisions for ducting the air out the front with an more elaborate ducting system, and (B) Cub Cadet went away from a Starter/Generator type of system and went to an Alternator system of charging and used a Ring Gear Starter. But Yes, the basic K301A is the same.

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:49 pm

Mr. Bedell, thank you for your responses to my questions. My father and I will be arranging to get the 1250 up to my house. As it turns out, the tractor does have an engine, but the PO told my father that the engine was seized up. Not knowing much about engine work myself, is there anything simple that could have been overlooked by the PO that would render this engine still operational. Next question, if the engine is indeed "seized up," what does that mean and how would I best set out to fix the problem. Do you think I'd be getting into spending a lot of money on the engine? I know you couldn't say for sure without seeing what exactly was wrong with the engine, but any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks again, Findoggy

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:05 pm

Fin:

The term "seized" means that the motor won't turn or roll over. Now this can be from a number of reasons to include: (A) a part broken internal to the crankcase causing the crankpin to hit something, (B) that the connecting rod is froze or locked up on the crankpin, and/or (C), that the piston is froze up in the cylinder wall.

Everyone's terms and descriptions are different, so before I would go jumping into conclusions, first get the tractor and bring it home. If so inclined, then look at the motor, and the first step would be to remove the cylinder head. Do an inspection and then go from there.

In my world, unless there is a big hole in the Block, I would opt to have the Kohler repaired. The older motors are not subject to all the new regulations and all the stuff they want you to do now. If you do the work yourself, you could put about $300.00 into this motor. If you hire this out, it maybe $600 to $800. Still less then a new motor with all the new regulatory gizmo's - LOL

So, get he tractor home and take one step at a time.
Last edited by R Bedell on Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:43 pm

Thank you Mr. Bedell...can't wait to get it home and see what is wrong with it! Hopefully it's an easy fix! Findoggy

Return to “Cub Cadet”