This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Member with a Cub Cadet 782

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fraso
10+ Years
10+ Years

New Member with a Cub Cadet 782

Postby fraso » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:24 am

Hello everyone,

I thought I would introduce myself. I have a Cub Cadet 782 that I bought in 2001, which included a 52" mower deck, snow thrower, and tiller. I have been using it regularly for grass cutting and snow clearing since then although I've never tried the tiller yet.

It seemed to use a lot of oil and I wouldn't be able to do more than a few hours of grass cutting without having to top it up. Unfortunately, this year we weren't as diligent in checking the oil and the motor blew. After taking off one of the cylinder heads, we found that one of the connecting rods broke. Interestingly, it could still run on one cylinder but with a lot of vibration and a lot less power.

I found this forum while trying to find out more about what options I had available. After having read Fordlord's Honda conversion, I decided to try the 18 hp Honda kit myself. Since it would cost more to replace the tractor and its implements than it would to repower it, the Honda engine seemed to be the most cost and time effective way to go. I ordered the kit yesterday and I expect that it should arrive in about 2 weeks as it is currently out-of-stock. The Small Engine Warehouse doesn't ship to Canada so I've had to ship it to a friend's house in Buffalo, NY.

The project I had expected to do with the tractor was to repair the mower deck. I found that I have a small hole in the front center of the deck and I was going to sandblast it clean and repair the hole with some fibreglass. Having read through some of the earlier posts here, I found a reference to the possibility of adding a 60" deck to this tractor (Danco?). I have not yet been able to find any information about fitting other mower decks to this tractor. Since it already takes me about 2-3 hours to cut my lawn, a larger mower would be a welcome upgrade.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:06 pm

In my CPE-2 it only lists the 60" deck for the 982. There are later parts book than the CPE-2 and they may have more combinations of that deck to other tractors. If the deck fits under the tractor I am sure you can modify a hitch to make it work.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:36 pm

I wouldn’t feel too bad about blowing up your old KT17 Fraso, as just about all the Series I KT17’s go out that way- by turning themselves in to a KT 8.5. They had an inadequate oiling system that supplied no direct flow of oil to the crankpins. Not worth rebuilding IMHO- makes nice boat anchor. I originally planned to put a Series II KT17 I had that was removed from a Deere 317 in to my 682, but later found the PTO end of the crankshaft on the Series II I had would not work as it was too short and smaller in diameter. My old Series I still ran, but I then opted for the Honda kit.

I was a little bit nervous at first spending $1350.00 for this engine, but now have absolutely no regrets- it is an excellent engine that beats the KT17 hands down in every aspect, and as just about everything else on the 682 will last nearly forever it was a sound investment to get another 25 years out of the tractor. The engine conversion kits have now become very popular as people have come to realize that the quality level of the older machines is just so far above any of the new stuff sold today, and when you put a quality engine like a Honda into a hefty old machine like a 682 or 782 you’ll have one of the finest garden tractors that one can own.

I had a few minor problems with the engine install regarding the wiring but those issues have been corrected on all the new SEW kits. Only thing I did outside the directions was I shortened my choke cable and drilled holes through the firewall to neatly route the control cables as they go in on the opposite side of the engine as the Kohler. I now have 20 hours on the engine without any problems whatsoever. Starts instantly, runs perfectly, tons of power. The oil filter cross references to Fram PH3593A (It is an automotive filter) that is available at auto/department stores for a few bucks so you don’t need to go to Honda to get replacements.

As for my deck I essentially made a new 44C with a new housing and components with a few old items off my old 44C. The 982’s that used the 60” deck for that time had the longer frame to accommodate the larger deck so I doubt the 60” Cub Cadet deck from a 982 would fit, and they are hard to find used in acceptable condition. I’m not aware of any aftermarket decks that were made for the ‘82’s, and I’m almost sure that no new 52” deck housings that work on the ‘82’ mule system are available from Cub. (There are only 10 or so new 44c’s left.) Probably the safest bet would be to refurbish your old deck if it’s not rusted too badly. Actually my old 44C had the rust and a crack in that same area up front but would have been easy to repair. I think the Danco deck mentioned was in regards to a Cub farm tractor. You could modify something, but then you get into leveling and belt alignment issues and all that fun stuff or a lot of time and money invested into something that might not work well. Keep eyes on E-Bay, sometimes I see decks in awesome condition there that sell cheap, I kicked myself when I saw a like new 44C sell on there for $250.00 when I spent about $800.00 to build mine.

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:10 pm

personally, i always liked the old KT 8.5's. I always thought they had a nice sound to them....
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

fraso
10+ Years
10+ Years

Repowering my tractor with a Honda engine

Postby fraso » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:44 pm

I've started a new thread showing the replacement of the Kohler engine with the Honda engine:

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14796

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48701

Postby R Bedell » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:01 am

The only decks available for the 782 were 44C or 50C. (They never made a 52" deck). The 60" deck was for the 982 Cub.

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:27 am

To give some balance here to all this Kohler Bashing, this is what I have seen.

I have a good friend of mine that has a 1980 Cub Cadet 682. It has the KT17 Series I motor in it. To this day, he has NEVER had a motor problem.
The Series I version did have issues if you were mowing inclined planes. But for flat surfaces, there were no more issues than any other motor.

I have also read on other forums, the other side of the Honda Replacement issue. Seems, there are things others have discovered that the Honda falls short on. It will interesting to see, if this Honda motor will go the same distance as the Kohlers after 26 yrs of service.

I also have a 782, but mine has a KT-17 Series II in it. I bought mine in 2000, and yes I did rebuild the Kohler in 2002. Mine also lost a rod, but after tearing it down, I got to see what kind of maintenance the previous owner done. That explained the problem.

Like with anything, if one does the proper and recommended maintenance, the equipment tends to last longer with no problems.

fraso
10+ Years
10+ Years

I stand corrected

Postby fraso » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:46 am

I checked the nameplate on the mower deck and it is actually a 50C. I have no idea what made me think that it was a 52" deck.

As for deciding upon a replacement engine, my main consideration was price. SEW's kit price is US$1,250 + shipping. I was also expecting overhead valve engines to be more fuel-efficient than flat-head engines. Since it costs me around $20 in gasoline to mow my lawn, fuel consumption was another important factor.

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:07 am

The motor replacement issue is solely your decision. I was just meerly pointing out that the Kohler's aren't as bad as some make them out to be.

I don't have a 982, but I do know they are longer in the frame as compared to a 782. Thus, the 60" deck will fit under a 982 but most likely won't, because there is not enough from to back clearance between the wheels.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:17 am

I had a 782 that was my primary mower / snow mover for 22 years and a toy after that. The KT 17 was relatively trouble free for the duration. I replaced a front seal twice and beyond that it was just regular maintenance for the entire time I owned it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:02 pm

I didn't mean to bash the KT17, and it is true the Series I can last as long as any other good old iron cylinder Kohler if NOT used on inclines. The Series I has a low pressure spray lube system and the crankpin has no direct oil pressure to it, it relies on drip down from the cam to oil the rod bearings. The Series II KT's are much better with full pressure lube and the crankshaft is drilled to lube the rod bearings directly. Just a consideration if looking at a used machine with a Series I KT, if you have inclines to work I would avoid it. I do believe the KT17 in John Deere 317's was how JD discovered Onan as an engine supplier LOL!

As far as the Honda lasting as long as a Kohler KT?? Of course I have no idea. But I was a motorcycle mechanic for 10 years and I know Honda, the world's largest engine producer, makes some of the best engines available, they are Honda's specialty and the heart of their reputation. From a new engine standpoint, the $1300 spent for the Honda GX with 2 year warranty put a better feeling in me than spending $2100 for a KT17 SII with 1 year warranty. I know some people don't like Honda, and that is fine, go with whatever floats your boat.

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

fraso
10+ Years
10+ Years

Free to a Good Home!

Postby fraso » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:06 pm

Now that my Honda engine is running, the old Kohler KT17 (now KT8.5) needs a new home. The engine is complete but has a broken connecting rod. I don't know if anything else is wrong with it because I only had one of the cylinders off.

If anyone wants to try rebuilding it or needs some parts, please take it off my hands. I live in the Fort Erie, ON area, which is about 10 minutes from the Peace Bridge in Buffalo, NY.

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:43 am

What Series is this motor...???

fraso
10+ Years
10+ Years

Name Plate Data

Postby fraso » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:38 am

Cub Cadet 782
model: 142782399
serial: 2050585U710565

engine
Kohler 17 hp
spec# 24193
model# KT17S
serial 12033018

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:50 pm

Ah........you have a KT-17 Series I motor.........Thanks.

Return to “Cub Cadet”