This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to this

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
krochko
10+ Years
10+ Years

New to this

Postby krochko » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:59 am

Great site and very very helpful. About 2 weeks ago i was given from a family member a 1962 original Cub Cadet #25260 with snow blower (BB-36) and mowing deck. Cuts grass perfect and runs well. I want to pick your brains so can understand my machine better and get it to original state as i refurbishes it. I have all the manuals thanks to this site and makes it very helpful.
Questions:
1- The mower deck on their is not the original but the #s on it are 479415R13. How to you measure the deck size, end to end on the 3 blades?
What is the original deck # ?
2- The Manual says SAE 30 weight oil for both the motor and Trans? Is this correct for the trans?
I have pictures i can email or post

I'M all new to this so my questions may sound simple but i want to do it right.

Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:08 am

The deck number you posted appears to be a part number for something, but not for a one of the two different decks that were used on Originals. The early decks were normally identified by the number of blades and width of cut , such as 38" 2 bladed , 38" 3 bladed etc. Deck model numbers were used on later decks. A picture would help if you can post it, since someone could have adapted a later model deck.

Deck size is identified by the width of cut, measured from tip to tip of the outer blades.

The original deck used on the Originals was a 2 bladed, timed deck (the blades were driven by a cog belt and the blades were timed to prevent hitting each other). The housing was retactangle in shape, and had a belt tightening clutch to engage the deck. There was no PTO clutch on the tractor. In 1963, the 70/100 model tractors came out and the standard deck was a 38", 3 bladed deck that was trianglar in shape and had cast iron ends that contained the bearings for the outer blade spindles, a cast iron nose peice that the center blade spindle was in, and a stamped steel deck skin. The deck required a tractor/engine PTO clutch to drive the deck. This deck was made available to retrofit to an Original using a different adaptor kit and a PTO kit for the tractor. Under the same token, there was an adaptor kit to put the 2 bladed timed deck on the the new 7 hp model 70 (it was not recommended for use on the 10 hp model 100). In this era or time frame, mower decks were not part of the tractor, but were optional equipment. You bought a Cub Cadet, then you bought what ever peice of equipment was needed to do the job you wanted it to do. That was the main reason for the kits to adapt the two mowers to different model tractors, it helped dealers to sell left over decks and or tractors.

30 weight oil is correct for the engine. It was originaly listed for the transmission in the early Original manuals, but most Original (and all later model) manuals stated to used Hy-Tran as the primary choice for the transmission, with 30 wt engine oil as a suitable sub. I prefer to use Hy-Tran because of its ability to absorb water. ALL Cub Cadet transmission will collect water if they are used, if from nothing more than condensation, and if they are left out side in the weather, they will collect more than what the Hy-Tran can absorb.

krochko
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby krochko » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:47 pm

Paul,
I couldnt upload some pictures so i emailed you 2.

Mike

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:43 pm

Mike, I got the pictures, and will answer you email. The deck is the cast iron end deck from a 70/100 or 1x2/3 series, and the PTO and deck carriage/sub frame is a "modified to fit the tractor" unit originally from70/100 probably.

krochko
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby krochko » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Thanks
Mike

Return to “Cub Cadet”