This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

682 Hydro slow when cold

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

682 Hydro slow when cold

Postby Fordlords » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:04 am

I have noticed something that might be wrong with the hydro on my 682. When I start the tractor up when cold and engage the hydro in forward, the tractor seems to move only very slowly for about 30 seconds regardless of how far I move the lever. Then it, "kicks in," with normal speeds and stays that way the rest of the day with no other problems regardless if I stop the engine. The filter is new and fluid is fresh hytran and topped up. Is this one of those valves up top sticking?

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:34 am

Fordlord: I'm not a hydro man but when you think you have valve problems hydro people suggest getting on a paved surface and actually try to spin the wheels in forward and reverse. Those valves can't be worked on(I have heard of some guys getting them apart) but there is a rubber "O" ring in there to replace and clan the nozzle with carb cleaner. Hope a hydro man jumps in.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:33 am

I was recalling what RBedell said in one thread how one of the hydro valves is supposed to open when the engine hits a certain RPM and stay open until shut off. I can start the Honda engine up at lower RPM's and like to warm it up that way, I did notice that when I throttled it up to higher RPM's in forward the last time before taking off the tractor speed kicked up right away and stayed put, so I guess everything is OK by design :o With the Honda engine, it does not have to be ran at high RPM's to make gobs of power, 3000 RPM is all one needs out of it to mow fine and use very little gas, anything more just equals more noise. It is just possible that it's power/torque curve is not matched to the hydro the way it was with the original Kohler KT17 that felt like it should be ran at the upper range of its 3600 max all the time.

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:03 am

Fordlords
Possible, but probably not. Kohler engines, as per the operators manuals of most models, are to be run at full throttle when mowing, not necessarily for the power, but for engine cooling. The fins on the flywheel do not provide enough air to properly cool the engine at lower throttle settings. That is something you might want to look into on your Honda conversion.

Return to “Cub Cadet”