This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Shifting the Hydro.

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Shifting the Hydro.

Postby Harold R » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:54 am

I've now got about 6 hrs. mowing on the used 1450 I got about a month ago. I also have manuals on the way, which may give me this info, but how are you guys shifting from fwd to rev, when mowing in a tight spot?
I haven't been stopping the tractor completely, in fact, it seems to work well just slowing to a crawl, then going right into rev. I just don't want to tear anything up by using the wrong technique. 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:14 am

What you are doing is fine. You can go from forward to reverse about as fast as you are comfortable with and not hurt anything, specially at mowing speeds, provided of course all the driveline connections are in good shape and not worn excessively

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:56 am

What you are doing is just fine. You should refrain from using the brake pedal on a hydro, which I assume you are doing, but a-lot of people do not get it, and use the brake pedal to go back to neutral. The brake pedal on a CC hydro is almost totally useless. It should be listed as a parking brake. Anyway, using the brake pedal to get the shifter back to neutral will wear out the linkage in the hydro, and cause a bunch of slop.

Simply push the lever forward for forward travel, bring it back to neutral, and further back for reverse. As stated before, if everything is in good working order, you can do this as fast or slow as you feel comfortable, without hurting a thing.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:26 pm

Don't worry... you have to do something pretty violent to a Cub cadet hydro to damage it. They are extremely robust and almost never wear out. You'll get used to it.
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Hydro operation

Postby Fordlords » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:23 pm

You are doing it just fine as the others said hr's49Cub, that is how we use them. Just as long as you aren't jamming the lever up and down between forward and reverse and are making the transition at a crawl as you mentioned it's fine. I agree with Gitractorman completely, don't use the brake for operation. It is fine for parking and it will stop the tractor in a heartbeat in an emergency, but the hydro lever itself is the main deal for all speed control. While at the show in PA I noticed a lot of the old timer hydro users keep their right hand on the hydro lever at all times, and often use a left mounted wheel spinner to steer.

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

Return to “Cub Cadet”