This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Am I welcome here?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MetaPhaze
10+ Years
10+ Years

Am I welcome here?

Postby MetaPhaze » Mon May 22, 2006 9:17 pm

Howdy everyone. I am a new owner of a Cub Cadet Model 1863 (Made in 1994) and I noticed you guys own it seems vintage Cub Cadet and other Prestigous tractors of yesteryear. Since I have a modern one, is this place not for me? :oops:

Let me know because I have lots of questions! :D

Leadfoot
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Leadfoot » Mon May 22, 2006 9:39 pm

Welcome MetaPhaze!

Well, the forum name says 'Cub Cadet', and since that's what you own, I say -you are in- :wink: :D

Ask away....if we don't know the answers, we will know where to find them 8)

MetaPhaze
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MetaPhaze » Mon May 22, 2006 9:46 pm

Leadfoot wrote:Welcome MetaPhaze!

Well, the forum name says 'Cub Cadet', and since that's what you own, I say -you are in- :wink: :D

Ask away....if we don't know the answers, we will know where to find them 8)

Thanks a lot! Here are some of my questions;

When I run the tractor it seems to get unusually hot, or so it seems to me.

I hear a "clicking" noise near the engine can not tell if its top or bottom part when I shut the engine off after its been running.

How do I clean the inside of the tractor? It is quite dirty, lots of dirt, grease, and grass.

Where do I check the Hytran fluid at?

How often should the Hytran fluid be changed?

Does anyone have a picture of the engine compartment of a Model 1863? I think I may be missing some non critical parts.

Is this model equipped with a "muffler" at the end of the exhaust pipe or is it just the muffle there is covered by the cooling fins?

Is it normal to hear like a "straining" noise when lifting the mower deck or dropping the mower deck when it hits its limit?

MetaPhaze
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MetaPhaze » Mon May 22, 2006 9:48 pm

Also I would like to add after viewing a couple of other Cub Cadet forums I hear guys complaining about their Brand Spanking New Cub Cadets. One guy said he has this new one with a ~25HP motor, and he says his tractor struggles with a 100lbs areator(sp?). That just sounds like nonsense to me!

Mine has a 18HP Kohler Motor and it has no problem moving a 100lbs of weight, nor does it have problems plowing a good amount of snow, or pulling smaller trees out by the roots.

What gives?

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 22, 2006 10:04 pm

I know nothing about cadets but you are as welcome as the flowers in spring. I am sure one of our cadet guys will be along shortly.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Am I welcome here?

Postby Eugene » Tue May 23, 2006 12:11 am

MetaPhaze wrote:I noticed you guys own it seems vintage Cub Cadet and other Prestigous tractors of yesteryear. Since I have a modern one, is this place not for me? :oops:

Let me know because I have lots of questions! :D

Your welcome here. As far as owning vintage Cub Cadets and other prestiqious tractors of yesteryear. Last weekend I purchased a 125 Cub Cadet (garden tractor) in excellent condition, with 48" deck, snow blade and tire chains for $420-. Quality and bang for the bucks.

I have 4 vintage Cub Cadets - and a "Gulp" John Deere 210, all working garden tractors. Short story. My neighbor purchased a new lawn tractor (big name manufacturer) (big engine). Ten minutes into mowing his lawn, actually closer to hay, he was banging on his lawn tractor with a hammer. The new lawn tractor sat in the location where he was hitting it with the hammer for several months. I mowed his hay with the antique JD 210, 8 horse Kohler.

Eugene

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48701

Postby R Bedell » Tue May 23, 2006 6:56 am

Meta:

I'll try and tackle each question.

The motor is cooled by the Fan/Flywheel at the back of your motor. Make sure the chassis and flywheel screen are free from debris. With an air compressor, blow all this out real good. The air from the Fan'Flywheel is ducted forward accross the cylinder jugs and out the front of the tractor.
To actually get at the cylinder jugs, unfortunately, you will have to remove some sheet metal, and this maybe needed.

There should be a "dipstick" for the rear end under the seat. Simply lift the seat and unscrew this dipstick and pull up.

Well, it would not be uncommon to find, that the hydro in your Cub has never been changed. Kinda gives testimony that the Sundstrand Hydro's are hard to kill. Anyway, if you have doubts, it certainly wouldn't hurt to change the HyTran and Hydro Filter for some asurance for yourself. I usually change the Hydro fluid in my Cubs about every two to three years, depending on it use.

The 1863 should have a Kohler Magnum 18 in it. You can go to the Kohler Web Site and D/L the service manual for this. There are several sites that you can also get a parts breakdown for the M-18. If you plan on keeping this Cub around a while and do your own repairs and maintenance, I would highly suggest that you obtain all the necessary manuals for your model. These are available from http://www.cubcadet.com

The muffler is tucked in the front of the Duct Work (Sheet metal) of the tractor. You usually can see this by pulling down the Grill and looking slightly upward. The air from the fan should be blowing in your face with the motor running and with no obstructions. That air helps cool down the muffler.

The straining (or whining) noise is normal. When you use the Hydro or Implement Lever, it requires the Hydro to produce more pressure and thus you will hear a difference as opposed to being just in neutral.

Hope this helps,

MetaPhaze
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MetaPhaze » Tue May 23, 2006 11:11 am

R Bedell you have been a huge amount of help. I am going to print your reply and take it home with me today so I can start taking it apart! Thanks! :D

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon May 29, 2006 4:35 am

Hey "MetaPhaze"...BEFORE you start tearin' your Cub Cadet apart...Did you get an Owner's Manual or Service Manual with your Cub Cadet? If NOT...you need to get these (also a Parts Manual) as these will answer MANY of your questions. 8) You can call MTD Corp. or even try http://www.binderbooks.com they may have recent manuals for MODERN Cub Cadet Lawn Tractors. :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Mon May 29, 2006 6:34 pm

WELCOME Great site with alot of info.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:00 am

The Cub Cadet GT's, especially the older ones with the Sunstrand cast iron hydros, can pull just about anything made for them with no complaints at all. Some of the newer Cub Cadet LT's with belt driven Hydro-Gear transaxles have had problems moving out of their own way on slopes while just mowing, nonetheless towing any heavy things behind them. They are now making some of the smaller CC LT's with 27 HP vertical shaft engines using the belt drive transaxles, but the fact remains that the CC GT's with shaft drive and cast iron transaxles even with lesser HP engines are by far the better machines- the transaxle is truly the heart of a good LGT as far as I see it.

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

Return to “Cub Cadet”