This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cadet 1450 - goes way to fast

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dhermesc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cadet 1450 - goes way to fast

Postby dhermesc » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:35 am

I finally got all the repairs done on the 1450 - about 4 years of maintenance in in a couple weeks (mail order parts take forever). New hydro oil, hydro filter, new belts, painted the deck, replace one deck bearing, spark plug, fresh engine oil and filter. Fired up on the second revolution and took off just like it did 20 years ago. I have found two problems in my test run last night;

1. The hydro lever likes to creep forward, I'm sure there is an adjustment but I didn't look for it last night in the dark (I didn't get around to looking at the manual either).

2. The previous owner had put bolt in the slide to stop the hydro control lever from going all the way forward. I left the stop in place, but even with it I guessing the forward speed as to be about 12-13 mph, way more then the 8 mph its suppose to be. When I took off out of the barn my wife thought I'd snuck home a 4 wheeler when it flashed by the kitchen window.

The reverse speed appears normal but is the extremely fast forward speed an indication of a bigger problem?
Last edited by dhermesc on Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom is for those that claim it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:04 pm

I would start by checking the adjustment of the governor. If it is going that fast, the engine is probably turning a bit higher than the 3600 rpm no load max it is suppose to turn. Cast iron flywheels can turn into littler pieces above 4000. If the throttle arm has come loose on the governor shaft, theengine can/will just keep winding until something comes apart, out, or otherwise breaks.

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48701

Postby R Bedell » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:29 pm

The Hydro Control Lever has a "Friction Adjustment" to it. This adjustment is under the dash. You may have to remove the gas tank and will have to remove the "hood bracket" to get into this area. There is a big nut at the pivot point of the lever. This nut should be adjusted to where it takes about 10# of pressure to move it. When adjusted correctly, there should be resistance to the movement of the Hydro Lever. This is what keeps the lever creeping forward or backwards.

As Paul suggested, I also would recommend the checking the governor operation.

dhermesc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dhermesc » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:00 pm

Thanks.

I figured the creeping hydro handle would be an easy fix. It will be the second time the gas tank has been off in a week - removed it to replace the battery cable earlier.

I'll check the governer setting, is there an "easy" way to figure engine RPMs? It really didn't sound like it running that fast (actually fairly quiet compared to the old MTD) but then that could be the engine shrouds doing their job by keeping noise away from the operator.
Freedom is for those that claim it.

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:14 pm

The only accurate way to check the Governor for proper RPM's is with a Tachometer. The SWAG method would not be advisable in this situation.
A Electronic Tachomater would be nice. There is an inexpensive tach, I believe made by Briggs and Stration, called a "vibratach" that is fairly accurate, as I am told. Either way, an accurate measurement would be best for the longevity of the motor.

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Mon May 01, 2006 12:08 am

I'm probably going to sound like a ding-dong here to the hydro experts, (Rip me apart, I can take it :lol: ) but isn't one of those valves on the top of the hydro unit a pressure regulator, and could it be sticking open with the hydro engaged in forward? Only reason I say this is with my 682 the engine speed makes minimal difference with the speed of the tractor, it's all in the hydro lever. I can slow mine down to a snail-crawl or top speed either direction on the lever regardless of engine throttle. I can't see the tractor's engine being so high or ungoverned it would make the thing go full-blast or nothing with normal speed control on reverse. Maybe a pulling hot-rodder modified this guy's hydro pressures?

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Mon May 01, 2006 5:08 am

The original inquiry was about the creeping Hydro Lever, in that it would not stay at the setting where it was placed. That issue was addressed.

The Sundstrand Hydro has a Charge Pump that builds pressure. It can build up to 650 PSI (or more). In order for the tractor to move, the first pressure regulator is closed [some hydro's have a second regulator, an implement lift circuit] and will open at around 200PSI. Once that is established, it will remain there until the motor dies. The motor at idle can produce that 200 PSI. So, basically once the motor is started, the 200PSI is established and only builds from there with Throttle Position. If the Pressure Regulator Valve were to stick open, then you could still move the tractor. Additionally, the pressure regulator regulates pressure only and has nothing to do with direction. The direction of movement (forward or backwards) is controlled by the Swash Plate.

I have 4 Cubs with Hydro's, and they basically perform all the same. I can say from my experience, that adjusting my throttle(s) does make a difference in ground speed. I can be at full throttle and full forward and slow the tractor right down by reducing motor RPM's.

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Mon May 01, 2006 6:19 pm

I was just messing with my 682 on pavement today, and yes the throtttle postition makes more of a difference than I thought in regards to the tractor's speed.

I took it on dehermesc's first post that the was getting a condition of all or nothing in regards to speed when moving the hydro lever into forward. (Along with the lever being loose.) I'm not sure if that's what he meant, or if he was just concerned that the tractor went 10-12 MPH and that was too fast. In the latter event, I don't think I'd be too concerned, I'm going to guess my 682 goes about 10-12 wide open.

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Mon May 01, 2006 9:14 pm

As IH built them, the listed speeds of all Cub Cadet hydros, from the 123 through the 782, was up to 8 mph forward, 4 mph in reverse. The 982 is listed as up to 7.5 mph forward, 3.75 reverse. If you got a hydro running 2-4 mph, or more, faster than those speeds, something is not right.

Return to “Cub Cadet”