This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

creeper gear...won't stop leaking!

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

creeper gear...won't stop leaking!

Postby Findoggy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:34 am

I installed my creeper gear onto my model 73 CC and found that it leaked only when the tractor was running. I split the tractor again and put new bearings and seals in (bearings fell out when creeper gear was opened up). The creeper gear still leaked after the new seals were installed, so we split the tractor again. It appears the seal was in crooked, though it wasn't like that when installed. The filler/breater plug was clogged, so we replaced it...could that have made the seal push out if pressure built up? We put the seal back in place and tried to install a second seal overtop of it (an old IH mechanic recommended trying this). However, that second seal got ruined, so we attempted using permatex to no avail. The leak is not coming out where the shaft comes through the seal, but rather, underneath the bottom of the seal, between it and the housing. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm getting really frustrated! The tractor ran great before I decided to upgrade it with a creeper gear and now it sits split in my garage whilst my grass grows!!! Sorry for the really long post.
Findoggy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:05 am

It sounds like the seal got turning on the shaft and made the OD seal fit to big. I would try JB weld which if works will be OK till the seal goes bad but it probably can't be fixed and worth a try.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:51 am

Where should I be putting the JB weld? All along the circumference of the seal?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:53 am

If the seal seems to be reasonably tight in the housing but still leaks, you might consider installing it clean and dry then putting some Lok-Tite at the seam between the seal and the housing. It should wick in and stop the leak if there are no big gaps.

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:45 pm

Is there a specific type of Loc-tite that I should be using? I hope it works, this leak is driving me crazy.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:58 pm

There are different versions of Lok-Tite. I have a chart in my shop that I will take a look at. In absence of any other guide, I would try the blue thread locker.

I looked:
First choice is probably 609 green retaining compound.
Second, 209 green wicking thread locker.
Third, 242 blue thread locker.

I since the blue will wick, I probably wouldn't bother looking for the 209. You can also coat the outside of the seal before you drive it in. If it doesn't require at least some force to drive it in, I would go with JB Weld.

Return to “Cub Cadet”