This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need starter help

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Need starter help

Postby cowboy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:24 pm

I got a starter generator for a 102 cub cadet. I am going to put it on the lister. How do I wire it :?:

I take it that the housing if ground. I have two terminals on it A and F which do I put power in to use it for a starter :?: I take it that I will need a seprate voltage regulator. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that I set it up with a push button start swich. Needless to say I am eager to see if it will turn over the lister engine.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:53 pm

Cowboy - Check out this wiring diagram:

http://ihregistry.com/ref/Diagrams/W16.pdf

and the tons of information here:

http://ihregistry.com/odfaq/index.php?p ... t&cat=5#a7
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:10 pm

Thanks Bigdog

Wow takes some power to turn that over. Just using jumper cables on a old battery it just barley has enough power to flip it over one compression stroke. It was a used non rebuilt one.

Are the ones used on the 12 or 14hp engines any stronger or are they the same unit :?:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:42 pm

Cowboy, you might be able to gain a little if you reduce the size of the pulley on the starter / gen. Or, set up a jackshaft and do it in more than one step.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48701

Postby R Bedell » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:53 pm

CowBoy:

Here is a Color Coded Wiring Schematic for your 102.

There, I finally got it down sized - LOL
Last edited by R Bedell on Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:27 pm

Cowboy, they are all basically the same, and can have trouble turning some of the higher horsepower Kohlers if the automatic compression release (ACR) is broken or not working correctly. You can check the brushes in it and make sure all wiring connections are clean and tight. I'm not sure how you hooked it up, or which way the Lister turns, but keep in mind the Cub Cadet S/G's turn counter clockwise as you face the pulley, which is backwards from most engines.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:38 pm

Hi Bigdog :D

What I am going to have to do is put a bigger pulley on the starter so it gets the flywheels turning faster before I relese the compressisn relese. As the flywheels store the energy to get it to flip over. You can tell I had fun trying to do it by hand. I had to spin it up at least three times before I could get it run each time.

R Bedell

Thanks that is very clear now. This is a diesel so I do not need a ignition just start and charging. That diagram maks it real easy to see how to wire up what I need.

Thanks Paul

I thought they looked pretty much the same. I but if one had more power though I would not need to change pulleys. The only way I could get it past compression was leave the battery charger on. But as you see I was just using jumper cables with a old battery to see if I could get it to work. The engine will be turning about 950 rpm at operating speed.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:26 pm

Looks interesting.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48701

Postby R Bedell » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:06 pm

Cowboy:

I am confused. A Cub Cadet model 102 has a Kohler gas engine in it, "IF" it is original. You say you have a diesel motor in yours...????
:?: :shock:

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:21 pm

Cowboy is trying to use the starter/generator to start his diesel.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

lonnyb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lonnyb » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:48 pm

Paul B and others.

I am by no means an exspert on the cub cadet starters, heck I cant even rebuild one, BUT the guy who rebuilt the one for my 122 says there is a difference in them.
If I rember correctly what he said was that you count the ( dont know the correct term) landings on the windings the one with the more windings is a stronger starter.
I myself have no to conferm this to see if it is the truth.
Is one cub ever enough ?

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:47 pm

I remember reading in one of Ken Updike's books that the starter/generators were all basically the same aside from slight changes to improve reliability, maintenance, etc. Basically... the normal string of improvements were done to them. They are however, basically the same S/G.
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:29 am

:wink: Hi guys :!:

The engine pictured in my last post is 115.8 cubic inch single cylinder diesel 17.5 to 1 Compression Ratio. I am using for a generator system it will run on waste engine oil which I can get free. The plan is to run in in the winter make my own electric and use all the heat from running the engine to heat my house by putting the radiator and fan inside the house. I will also run the exhust through a water jacket to gather all the heat from the exhust.

It is a hand crank :!: and rather than trying to put a ring gear and starter on it I am using a cub cadet starter generator. In the picture above you can see the starter on the ground infront of the engine on the ground with a belt to the engine. Not only is it much easier to setup I will not need a seperate altenator to charge the battery.

Hi Bill how ya doing :?: I am picking up the generator head engine mounting plate and other parts tonite.

Billy

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:43 am

Cowboy,
When I bought my 108 cadet it would not turn over with the battery alone, only when I would put my battery charger on crank.
I put new brushes and bearings in and now it works fine.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:38 am

Putting a bigger pulley on the starter/generator will reduce the amount of torque.

How about a pony motor? A 5 horsepower gasoline engine.

Or the starter off of 30 or 45 horsepower tractor, a car or a truck. The starters off of older tractors are really heavy duty compared to current automotive starters. You can set up a starter to function as a starter/generator.

Or just use the automotive starter and charge up the battery with the battery charger.

I would try to figure out how to use the Cub's PTO to start the Lister.

Just throwing out ideas.

Eugene

Return to “Cub Cadet”