This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

For my 501st post

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

For my 501st post

Postby Paul B » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:55 pm

For my 501st post, I don't have anything with serial number 501, but I had a Cub Cadet that had those same three numbers for a serial number, just different order. It was # 510 and was one of the first 25 test unit's built, and one of of 6 know to exist. It is now owned by a collector in MA , who also has S/N's 518 and 522. The other three known are, S/N 505, located in south west IN; S/N 515 in MS; and S/N 516 in south central IN. I also owned the prototype S/N 409 , but it now belongs to a collector in the northeast.

S/N 510 as found in the Bluegrass region of KY

The S/N stamped into the gear reduction housing

S/N 510 after refurbishing

Image[/img]

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:35 pm

NICE JOB :!: 8)

Is that a hour meter on the right side and if so, is it original :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:53 pm

:P Paul, Congratulations on earning your way to the (501) Club.

Man, You really know the pathway to finding them old numbered goodies dontcha!!. :lol:
Then came Bronson

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:40 pm

Welcome Paul. :D :D :D :) :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:28 pm

:lol: Congradulations Paul.

And thanks for all the help you have given along the way :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:37 pm

Thanks guy's.

Cub-Bud
Yes, that is an hour meter and it is original. All of the 25 test tractors, S/N 501 through 525, were equipped with hour meters to help keep track of the test hours (The prototype #409 I had also had an hourmeter). These tractors were basically hand built and shipped in late Nov/early Dec of 1960, to the southern region's of the US for 50 hours of testing doing mowing and or front blade work. The test went well enough that the tractor was released for production before all testing was completed. After these 25 were built, work continued on a limited number of tractors with S/N's between 526 and 589, to check production methods and get piece work prices established etc, prior to the tractor being released for production. Production began in Jan 1961 and the first production tractor was S/N 590, and I believe that now belongs to Cub Cadet Corp. They bought it on eBay.

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:38 pm

A very interesting tractor and equally interesting story behind it :o Often with most prototype machines after the testing they go back to the company and are torn down/evaluated and never see the light of day out in the world again.

Just curious as to why you sold the 510? Kind of looks like one of those once in a lifetime things one usually holds on to 8) Very nice resto on it!

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:21 am

Fordlords
The prototypes were normally destroyed rather than sold to the general public I was told by a former IH engineer, unless they were sold to employees. The prototype #409 I had was sold to Frank Majer, an Electrical Test Engineer at the Hinsdale Test Center. I bought it from his son. The prototypes were built without a serial number, and were "tracked" by the "Q" number assigned by the test center (409 was QFE-1911). When the tractors were released or sold, the "Q" tag was removed and the 4XX serial number was stamped into the gear reduction housing. The numbers 401 - 410 were used on the 10 prototypes built in Louisville between Oct 5-14 1960. The number 411 was stamped into the only known engineering prototype build at Hinsdale, to exist. Although it is older than the 10 built in Louisville, it was sold after the Louisville built tractors. 411 was bought by Dave Stevenson who was the Cub Cadet test manager, for use by his father-in-law. It was then sold to Harold Schramm in 2001 or 2002 , who then had it restored. Harold was a former IH engineer that had a hand in the design of the original Cub Cadet, and after his untimely death in 2004, 411 was sold last year to a collector in MA.

To answer you question as to why I sold 510 and the others......... because I got tired of worring about them. I have hauled Cub Cadets to shows from Iowa to Massachusetts, and from Pennsylvania to Tennessee, multiple times in some cases. I was pulling an 18' trailer that contained a Prototype (409), a test tractor (510), and line setup tractor (556 and I went to AZ to get it), and a first month of production tractor (1063), plus two others of various models. Whether is was travling down the interstate at 65-70 mph or setting in a motel parking lot or on a show grounds over night, that was at least 3 Cub Cadets that were not replaceable and at least 1 that would be difficult to replace, if anything happened to them . I enjoyed the tractors, I enjoyed refurbishing them, I enjoyed taking them to shows for people to see, and I enjoyed the people I met because of them, but I did not enjoy worrying about them, so I sold them to other collectors.

I still have Cub Cadets, I still haul them to shows, and I still enjoy refurbishing them (although that gets harder as I get older), but what I now have are common models that are still fairly easy to find, they can be replaced if something happens to them. I have a Hi-Clear version that I built from a model 100 , and I am working on an Orchard version of a 100, but if something happens to them, I can still build another.

It was a fairly rare feat to be able to assemble those 4 tractors, and it fullfilled a desire or goal, but I don't miss them. I enjoyed them when I had them, but after a while I felt it was time someone else had the chance to enjoy them, and for me to move on to something else. After all, for me, the fun part is the refurbishing part, when they are done and just set there with people looking at them, they are boring, and those were a little to rare to do much more than sit and look nice, or maybe to drive around in a parade if it's not too long :lol: .

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:17 pm

Looks Great Paul :!: :lol: :!: I hope to get mine to look half as good some year :wink:

Johnny

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:50 am

Hey Paul...CUBCADETGRATULATIONS on POST #501!!! :wink: What GREAT stories about the Cub Cadets you're owned & restored! 8)

I saw photos of your "Orchard Cadet" on IH Registry...WHAT A SUPER LOOKIN' DESIGN on a Cub Cadet 100 ! :wink: Can't wait to see the finished tractor! :wink:

THANKS TOO Paul for all your good advise & help to Cadet restorers & IH Cub Bear Collectors EVERYWHERE! :D
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Cub Cadet”