This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Kohler ags counterweight

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Kohler ags counterweight

Postby BigBill » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:29 pm

When we rebuild both 12 & 14 hp kohler do you remove the extra counter balance weights?
I read they can break and cause problems? Any thoughts?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Kohler ags counterweight

Postby T-Mo » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:39 am

I rebuilt a 14 hp Kohler and I removed the balance gears. If not install properly and if not with new parts, it can and will explode making a big hole in your engine. Without them, you will notice more vibration, especially at low idle, which seems to quieten down at higher rpms. Some of the lower hp engines didn't have those gears, I know the 14 hp did, and I believe the 12 hp did also. As for rather or not you should leave them in or remove them can cause some debate among garden tractor owners. As I mentioned, if you put them in, be sure they're installed properly and be sure all the parts are in good working order or new parts.

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby sdurnal » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:28 pm

When it became time to replace the K301 in my 680, I purposely looked for a balanced engine, as all the sheet metal is cracked, as well at the exhaust/cooling ductwork. The dash is worn through, replaced the pilot bushing at least a half a dozen times.. (driveshaft once) Nothing I did helped except the balanced K321 from a Wheel Horse.. So, there's my 2 cents worth. (the extra HP helped it handle the 50" deck better as well)
P.S. several motor mounts too!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:20 am

When I upgraded my cc1000 to a cc1200 the whole machine needed fixing. The motor mounts were all shot what rubber was left, new clutch disc, new throwout brg. I added the 1” front spindles that take the 154 front wheel bearings with rims, disc brakes on the rear.

This cc was beat up bad the c rod broke so the engine was done. We been mowing over a decade with a used 12 hp I picked up.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Cub Cadet”