This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Setting up a cc plowing snow?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Setting up a cc plowing snow?

Postby BigBill » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:01 am

Cub cadet wheel weights. I’m planning on putting six simplicity rear wheel weight on one of my cub cadets to plow snow. Three on a side in the rear. Then add tire chains.

The misses wants to try plowing snow. My problem is lifting the plow and dropping it. Since it’s 12 volts I’m thinking about a small atv winch to raise and drop the plow. I’m thinking of removing the battery and mounting the winch were the battery was. Putting the battery on the rear above the hitch. Make a square frame above the plow, then use a snatch block to take the cable down to the plow. For turning it I’m looking for suggestions?

Unless I go hydraulics?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Setting up a cc plowing snow?

Postby Peter Person » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:49 am

Bill,
A few problems with using a winch to raise and lower the plow is timing the "Raise" with the edge of the driveway/lawn and the lack of down pressure on the blade.
My son Erik had 4 Wheelers that he would try to use for plowing snow and these were the two issues he faced.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:02 am

Consider a 12-volt linear actuator. Less complicated installation and probably more functional. You can probably get an adequate one for less than the cost of a winch. Just pay attention to load capability and duty cycle when buying one.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Peter Person wrote:Bill,
A few problems with using a winch to raise and lower the plow is timing the "Raise" with the edge of the driveway/lawn and the lack of down pressure on the blade.
My son Erik had 4 Wheelers that he would try to use for plowing snow and these were the two issues he faced.

Peter, I setup my first Polaris sport 400l 4x4 for plowing snow it was useless when the snow was deep and wet. I gave up my gravely L8 with the snowblower when I could walk behind it anymore. I have my Jeep tractor but it’s hard to climb in it. My misses wants to plow.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:07 pm

Here’s my 15” rims with the 29”-1250-15 tru power tires. It has two sears wheel weights on each side. I think there’s room for four wheel weights on each side.

Look at my mistake on the securing weight holes and the valve stem location. There’s two weights on the rim now. To add more weights I need to locate the weights so the valve stem lines up. This is my first 15” rims using a fcub rim center welded in. Still learning. As you can see there’s two sears suburban wheel weights on the 15” rim now I have four more to put on.

http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/gall ... os&cc=0&s=
Last edited by BigBill on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:09 pm

In the elevator business we did multiple ropes(cables) for lifting. We did two or three wraps as it’s called. It’s one rope wrapped multiple times on grooved sheaves. It would take the full pressure off of the lifting lever. For lifting weights, steel.

For elevators each rope is seperate. One rope is rated to hold the system. Then they add multiple ropes as a safety factor. Don’t believe what you see in movies.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:57 am

I just purchased four more sears weights. I’m thinking four wheel weights on each side. I’m going to replace all the spiral pins in the drivevshaft. Set the pucks on the plow so it doesn’t drag on the ground.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:48 am

I think I'd leave the battery where it is. Mount the winch on the plow using a mounting plate.
https://www.harborfreight.com/atvutilit ... 60522.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/2500-lb-a ... 61840.html

See if you can find a place up front that is higher up to mount a pulley or connect a lift point. - Maybe connect to the engine through the grill opening.
Putting the winch on the plow adds just enough weight on the plow to keep it down.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:50 am

By the way.... First time I've seen your photos!
Great plow team you have there.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:06 pm

Now my 70 has a new oem Kohler 8 hp engine. I picked up a 122 from its orginal owner it’s a new oem 12 hp ag Kohler engine with low hours too. I was thinking about swapping the 8 hp for the 12 hp. I have a narrow frame creeper and a wider narrow frame snow thrower. Options, I was lucky to find three cadets with new low hour engines. One 10 hp is on a 100 with my tiller. I thought it had a rod knock but found out the bushing bearing on the rear of the armature was wornout. Swapped the s/g out and the engine is perfect.

We’re still cleaning up the wind damaged trees.

Return to “Cub Cadet”