This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet Original 1962 Breather Problem?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sgraber
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46526

Cub Cadet Original 1962 Breather Problem?

Postby sgraber » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Ok, I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my '62 Cub Cadet Original with a K181 engine. Whenever I start this thing up, I have pressure on the oil dipstick side of the engine to the point that the dipstick pops out - especially when I shut the engine off. It'll pop it out a good 3-4". If I'm driving it, it'll blow oil out which drips down the engine block. If I pull the dipstick out while the engine's running, there's positive pressure in there and I can feel a fine mist of oil coming out.

Thinking it was the breather, I pulled the air cleaner and carburetor and then pulled and disassembled the breather. It was pretty cruddy in there and it appeared as though the breather hole was plugged, so I unplugged it with a very tiny nail. After that, I cleaned the breather housing, reed, etc with a gasoline-soaked rag to get all of the baked on stuff off. The gaskets aren't in the best shape as I don't think this thing was pulled in years (I had to get a wood chisel out to get behind it to pry it off the engine block). The breather plate has the hole at the bottom as it should be and it's now clean. I did not replace the filter medium in the breather housing, but I do know that air can get in/out easily. It was pretty black with oil and residue though. After reassembly, I started the engine up and again the oil dipstick popped out and there's still positive pressure on the dipstick side of the engine. I do not feel air coming out of the breather port while the engine's running. I know the dipstick side of the engine should be under slight vacuum, but from what I see it's not.

Any idea what's going on? Should I completely replace all the gaskets and the filter medium in the breather? Anything else I should look at to fix this? The CC runs just fine otherwise.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Cadet Original 1962 Breather Problem?

Postby gitractorman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Yea, you're getting blow by around the piston rings, so on the compression stroke you're getting pressure down in the crank case. It needs piston rings. Unfortunately, that typically means a full rebuild. Could just be a damaged or broken piston ring, but due to the age I'd bet that it will need a rebuild.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby birddog » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:22 pm

As gitractorman said, it's probably rings, but I had a K321 or maybe a K341 from a Honey Bee that had that problem. I found that the hole on the side between the crank case and the breather housing was plugged. If I remember right the hole was on the left by the governor.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

sgraber
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46526

Postby sgraber » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:18 pm

Turns out it was a combination of a plugged breather hole in the breather plate and a worn-out dipstick seal. I cleaned up all of the breather parts really well, opened the hole back up, installed new gaskets on the breather and carburetor, and installed a stack of o-rings on the dipstick to make it seat better. I ran it for 15 minutes today pretty hard and now have no problems with oil leakage. :D

Return to “Cub Cadet”