This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

no idea

What is it or Wazzit? Have a mystery item you want help figuring out its use. . . this is the place to ask.
birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515
Circle of Safety: Y

no idea

Postby birddog » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:01 pm

I found this out on our rock fence in a pile of stuff we moved from outside my Dad's garage years ago.

It's 20 1/8th inch in diameter, made of cast bronze/ brass ?, weighs about 50#s (without the hinged bar on the back) and the hole is 4 3/8th's inch in diameter.
Copy of IM000497.JPG

In this photo, this end appears to be for some sort of lock when it's closed.
Copy of IM000495.JPG

This end is broken off, but I would guess it was a hinge for swiveling it open and shut.
Copy of IM000494.JPG

Just another view. If you look close just to the left of the hinge pin is a riveted tag. The number is; 36010. This is the only marking on it.
Copy of IM000493.JPG
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Re: no idea

Postby Dennis » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:21 pm

:big give up: Interesting, but I have no idea. It does not look like it was used as an airtight seal for anything since I don't see any rubber gasket grooves. Is the hole an inspection hole? Possibly something from a train rail car?
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby birddog » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:23 pm

Possibly something from a train rail car?

Interesting thought Dennis.

Is the hole an inspection hole?

As to the hole that might be a good possibility. There is no apparent way to fasten anything to cover the hole, so it either is always open or excepts some sort of plug.

There was one possibility that I thought of after my first post, and that is a cover from an industrial size cream separator. I was thinking back when I hauled milk for a living, (if I remember correctly, it's been about 45 years) the discs in the cheese factories separator were about that size.

I did also forget to mention that the cover is coated inside and out with something that is pretty hard. The outside is speckled like some of the old porcelain stuff. If it is porcelain, it's a lot thinner then what you normally would see.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Any breweries up your way?
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby birddog » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Any breweries up your way?

No Dennis, nothing very close. Leinenkugel in Chippewa Falls about 85 miles, or Point in Stevens Point about 100 miles. That being said, the construction company my Dad worked for had their home office in Stevens Point. So I guess that could be a possibility.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

Return to “Wazzits?”