This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

F-20 to the county fair

Farmall F-xx Series Tractors, 1931-1939
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

F-20 to the county fair

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:48 pm

Last Saturday I helped a friend move his collection of about 40 antique tractors to the fairgrounds for the Boulder County Fair. He put me on a 1938 Farmall F-20. Had about a three mile drive. Went past a speed sign and it blinked back and forth between 6 and 7 MPH. It seems to me like the engineers built the tractor first and then said, "Whoops, we have to put a seat on the back somewhere!!". This Sunday, I hope to get to drive it back to the barn. A fun tractor, but way to big for me to want one. I'm sure some of you grew up on these and have lots of memories (fond or otherwise).
Bob
Last edited by Bob McCarty on Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:08 pm

IH engineers weren't the only ones to design the tractor then put the operator's platform on it - some place. On the old Allis Chalmers tractors the seat is about a foot behind the differential. To operte the tractor your feet are above the differential, leaving your butt hanging in the air.

On a recent post an Allis owner, 350 lbs, was worried that the spring holding the seat would break and drop him to the ground in front of the bushhog. I grew up on old tractors and never thought about it.

Eugene

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:16 pm

I had my H at Cubfest and my wife followed me home. I asked her how fast I was going and she said between 15 and 20 mph. At one point I hit 20. Thats fast enough on an H. By the way, I don't think I ever had it wide open on that trip home.

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:30 pm

That's that JP-4 your putting in,Full military power.Stop taking the stuff from work.................
:shock:
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:23 am

When I had my 1946 Farmall "M" I used to love to ride on the road! My longest, one-way trip was 31 miles from my former home in Mendham, N.J. to Washington, N.J. to the Case/IH dealership. Even with the road gear...it hummed along at 16 to 18 m.p.h. :D
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:55 am

Country. How come those big ole jersey skeeters never picked you up and carried you away?

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

RAW in IA
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

Postby RAW in IA » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:48 am

I greaw up with an F-20 and my son has it now. Grandfather bought it new in 38. Not the most comfortable tractor to ride, but I enjoy running it anyways. Spent many hours cultivating with it.Hand lift cultivator too! I just love the sound of that old engine under load, but do agree, it needs a faster road gear.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:53 am

Hey Bill...MOST of those "Jersey Skeeters" were "Down The Shore"! :lol: Besides it woould have taken a whole FLOCK a them to lift my butt off'n that "M"! :shock:

Besides the F-14 Farmall...I believe the NICEST F-20 I ever saw and drove was a 1936 F-20 on rubber with round spokes front & rear :wink: ! BUT, that seat position is just not natural to try to sit in for any extended period! :shock:

When I went to college in Iowa, we used to visit the John Deere Works in Ottumwa, Iowa. It used to be the old Dain Manufacturing Works that made the 3-wheeled Dain tractor and Dain feed grinders. :wink: AND, the BEST place to visit then was Mt. Pleasant, Iowa for The Thresher's Reunion...WOW, I've NEVER seen so many steam traction tractors in my entire life :D
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Farmall F-xx Series”