This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

MD sleeve question.

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff D. N.E. Wis.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54235
Circle of Safety: Y

MD sleeve question.

Postby Jeff D. N.E. Wis. » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:12 pm

I posted this question on another site awhile back and received comments leading me in 2 different directions without a definite answer. Following is a little more info so maybe someone can clear up this question. Here goes. :help:

I am restoring a 1951 Farmall MD. I had the block to the machinist I use to check the block, install new cam bushings and install new sleeves. This is where the question lies. The service manual states that the sleeves need to be .041" - .047" above the block deck. When I got mine back from the shop the sleeves are only .005" above the deck.

I called the parts distributor where I purchased the complete rebuild kit including all the gaskets and asked them what they thought. They asked the current mechanics in back and said no one ever questioned it before that they are aware of and there are not many old timers around who worked on these for a living to check with.

Next I called the machine shop and asked the same question. Both the owner and one of his machinist said that they thought .041" - .047" was an awful lot and that most engines require only about .005."

Next I posted the question on another site and got answers in both directions. Some said that it needed to be at the .041" - .047" and others said that .005" would be fine.

Today I called my parts guy at an CNH dealership and asked him. He said he thought that it was printed in the service manual for a reason but maybe there could have been a head gasket change somewhere that was made and that I should ask the forum guys again what their thoughts were as someone had to have had this issue somewhere in the past.

Was there a head gasket change? I measured mine which is a CNH #225 604 A1 and the gasket itself is .075" thick and the fire ring on the gasket is .082".

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here who have worked on these older units that may have gone through this and give me a definite answer as to which is correct or know of anyone I can contact on this matter. :lost:

Thanks everyone for your patience.
49 Farmall Cub, 68 I-H Cub LoBoy
53 Farmall Super-A, 44 Farmall B
52 Farmall Super-C, 41 Farmall H
40 Farmall M, 46 Farmall M
51 Farmall MD, 54 Case 500 Diesel
71 Allis-Chalmers 160 Diesel

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”