This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Moisture on the intake

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
johnw44
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64776

Moisture on the intake

Postby johnw44 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:47 am

I noticed lately when I start the old M the intake above the carbarator is getting wet, almost close to freezing cold. Tractor runs good until I put a load on it. It kicks and sputters and back fires and dies. I wait a couple of minuets and it starts but hardly runs. It acts like it is starving for gas. I have checked gas lines, installed inline filter, but cannot figure out why intake is wet and cold, please help!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Moisture on the intake

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:58 am

Vaporized gasoline is cooler than the air. Is is humid out? Its the same effect as having a cold beer outside on a summer day. The moisture in the air will condense on the glass.

My Super A does this sometimes in the winter on when the carb picks up ambient moisture and then it freezes because the air temps are below freezing. Of course the ice goes away once the engine warms up. Its the same effect as described above, but a better visual.

Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

LincTex
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 76633

Postby LincTex » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:49 pm

You might have "winter" gas in the tank. It vaporizes way easier then "summer" gas - - but this usually causes a vapor lock.

You might even have a little water mixed in with the fuel (most likely) - - is it 10% ethanol?
Try draining the carb & sediment bowl, and try it again.

My F-I-L's Ferguson TO-20 would do what you say (sputter, no power) -
- If you drain about a pint of fuel in a metal coffee and put it in a cooler with ice around it,
all the water settles out when it gets cold. See if yours does this, too.

We had a 12 HP Briggs & Stratton on the grain auger with an updraft carb,
and ice/frost used to form on the elbow above the carb even on a 100*F day!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:54 pm

As the air goes through the carburetor venturi, it cools off dramatically. Warm humid air on a cold manifold make for condensation. It can actually get cold enough to form frost on the outside of the carburetor. This is normal, and goes away as the engine warms up.

You've got a problem with the carburetor but it has nothing to do with it being cold and wet.

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”