It Begins/Up Dated with Pictures

Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:44 am

1940 M
Now that the demo is up and running ,tucked in and awaiting warmer weather to finish sheet metal.
We have begun to tear down the M.
It will be a complete tear down ,eventually. Everything is heavy and takes more care , as to not injure the help,or burn them out, However I have a captive audience, (The boys are still at home) Good on DAD!
It sat for at least 3 yrs that I know of,could have been longer.
I plan to remove each part clean , replace seals ,prime and set off to the side.
To Date we have the carb rebuilt,Waterpump cleaned repacked painted, Governor rebuilt,mag ready,misc other parts painted and ready, only the big stuff left.
Marilyn Willer ,it is not my fault I have more than one tractor. You said, when Sheila and I visited for the first time, so it begins. Only one , right. :lol: Help me out here George.
Two of the four were not my fault. Sheila is to blame for the DEMO. The BN was My Parents and the M was a gift, Sure I could have turned them all down But. They needed a good home.
So in my mind I have only one that I can account for. :wink: The first one.
Enjoy I am
Phil
Last edited by Phillip W. Lenke on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: It Begins

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:17 am

Phil,

Good luck with the restoration. If you continue to work outside, you might want to wait for global warming to get to Oak Harbor. :) :)

Bill

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:31 am

Phil - sounds typical to me. It starts with one - almost always. But personally, I don't think there's a better hobby in the world than antique tractors. Good luck with this project! :D

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:07 am

Good luck and enjoy, i think we all got a little bit the "frito lay syndrome", you cant just have one, as they do make more.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:19 am

Phil, I'm in about the same with my Super C. All the parts are real similar to the cub, just heavier. LOL I'm having to leave the chasis out side too and that hurts....with all this rain we're getting.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:26 am

Phil,

You are going to need a barn for all your tractors real soon!

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:58 pm

Think of all the fun involved.Lucky M !!!! Be better than new when you are done with it!! Kevin :twisted: :twisted:

Re: It Begins/Up Dated with Pictures

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:36 am

Have most of the small items off cleaned primed and painted awaiting warmer weather to get engine and castings cleaned.
Mag,water pump,steering wheel and universal etc. head is getting cleaned ,magna fluxed, new guides and seats ground. Have to get the engine off and on the stand soon.
Here are a few pictures of the finished parts in the basement.Image
Enjoy
I am
Phil

Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:03 am

Phil, looks like you have things on a good schedule, good luck as you move along, bet it will be a beauty when done!

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Something happens to 50 plus year old cast iron. It seems to become magnetic and will start pulling other treasures home. My wife used to go with me to look at a tractor so that i wouldn't buy it. She has given that up. Last fall i was looking at an H and i brought home 3 pictures of it. She looked at the pictures, paused, and said "Hmm". That hesitation was all it took. I am not going to say that i will not purchase another tractor, but if i do, it will have to sit outside (shed is full).

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Looks really nice. She going to be a beaut when you're finished. 8)

Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Phil,
Looks like its going to be a qaulity restoration; some of those M parts have to weigh a TON. Best of luck and keep those photos coming, they are great to look at.

Take care,
Phil

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:05 am

Lookin good Phil

I'll be wishin up both warm weather now:!: Its no fun working out side right now. I just started putting the cub back together the last warm day we had.

Billy

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:55 am

Lookin good. Winter is time for the little stuff. That M is one big beautiful beast!

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:41 pm

Phil, looks great. Makes a good winter project doesn't it?