Farmall M

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:03 pm

Just discovered the hyd oil bayonet guage on my " new" M is homemade. Does anyone know what the length is to the full mark?

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:52 pm

You got a NEW M!!!! WOW I thought they haven't made those in years! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know but you could just drain the oil, service exactly the right amount, wait a couple hrs for it all to get in the pan and mark the stick where the oil is. Note of caution here. Your pan may be full of sludge so oil level could read high unless you drop the pan and check for cleanliness.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Are you referring to the "lift-all" belly system? thanks; sonny

Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:28 pm

SONNY wrote:Are you referring to the "lift-all" belly system? thanks; sonny

I guess so, it's a 45 model :oops:

Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:07 pm

Oh heck I'm sorry, I should have read a little closer. Same could apply though. On the other hand if you aren't leaking and you do a drain and service its not all that critical to keep an eye on the level like engine oil.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:11 pm

I've been around the Hs and Ms ever since they were almost new, and until I started collecting them about 8 years ago, I never knew they were supposed to have a dipstick in the hydraulic reservoir. Apparently every one that I drove or operated had the dipstick removed because it just got in the way. The lack of a dipstick is not critical. Just make sure that there is atleast SOME oil in there, and if the level is too low to completely lift the implement, just add some oil. Worst case scenario, if you get too much in there, it will spew out the vent hole in the filler cap and make a big mess. Nothing else will be damaged except your pride.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:12 pm

On most of the ones with missing dipsticks I have seen, the rod is usually inside the unit. the one I bought to replace the bad pump for my H had 2 of them in the unit.