This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine block woes.

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Engine block woes.

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:06 pm

So we have this BN with a cracked block that smokes like crazy. I went out and found an engine block for sale. It was in really clean condition, no cracks or welds. Seller said it was for a A so I figured that it would fit in our BN. I get home and give it a once over and notice something that made my heart stop. It has the area cast into it for a the TC Pump :headbang :headbang

Will this block still fit in the BN if I just make a cover and do a "TC pump delete"?

Also, I got the crank, cam, but not pistons and the block doesn't have the studs. I originally thought the pistons out of the BN could be reused. Is this no longer possible? I read that there was a difference beside the casting, or am I safe?
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Engine block woes.

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:22 pm

There were several different blocks with provisions for the hydraulic pump. The earlier ones had the same cylinder bores as the A/B engine. So your sleeve/piston assemblies from the original BN engine would fit. Later blocks had a larger lower bore so the sleeves need a different lower OD.

As far as the block with provision for the pump fitting, there are a lot of A/B tractors with that type block. I think you may find threads in one of the holes for the bolts that hold the bolster to the block. You will need to screw the bolt in from the front rather than using a through bolt with a nut. Or maybe the bolster hole has threads too and you need to deal with 2 sets of threads. I have forgotten the details. The change was to provide clearance for the pump.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:15 am

Wow, if I had been in the same situation my heart would've been aflutter with joy and excitement. Being able to mount a hydraulic pump on a B makes the tractor loads more useful.

Don't worry, the holes all line up no problem. IMHO, the worst issue you could run into is if IH changed the crankshaft journal sizes so the main bearings and crankshaft won't transfer to the new block. That'd be a deal breaker to me as you have to find a crankshaft. But this is just a theory, a "what if."

If you had to save up and put new pistons and sleeves in it because of the possible issue Jim pointed out, that's not a big deal in my book.

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:31 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Wow, if I had been in the same situation my heart would've been aflutter with joy and excitement. Being able to mount a hydraulic pump on a B makes the tractor loads more useful.

Don't worry, the holes all line up no problem. IMHO, the worst issue you could run into is if IH changed the crankshaft journal sizes so the main bearings and crankshaft won't transfer to the new block. That'd be a deal breaker to me as you have to find a crankshaft. But this is just a theory, a "what if."

If you had to save up and put new pistons and sleeves in it because of the possible issue Jim pointed out, that's not a big deal in my book.

Luckily I have the crank and cam from the donor engine :D

The BN in question had (according to my boss) new pistons put in a couple years ago. Will the timing cover be the same?, I assume it will lol. with the exception of the crank and cam, this is a bare bones block.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

LincTex
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 76633

Postby LincTex » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:48 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:Wow, if I had been in the same situation my heart would've been aflutter with joy and excitement. Being able to mount a hydraulic pump on a B makes the tractor loads more useful.

Sorry - - that doesn't work. The steering stuff and the pump can't occupy the same space! You can use the block, but a "block off plate" has to go where the pump would normally be.

LincTex
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 76633

Postby LincTex » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:50 am

havoc1482 wrote:The BN in question had (according to my boss) new pistons put in a couple years ago..

The pistons could be one of FOUR possible sizes:

3" (stock for a B)
3.125" (very common upgrade0
3.187" (not so common, but I have a set!)
3.250" (not common, but it does happen)

Return to “Farmall B & BN”