This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

6v positive ground issue

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cajordan1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45202

6v positive ground issue

Postby cajordan1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi,

I have a B with standard 6v positive ground with lights and cut out relay. I was attempting to polarize the generator as it was not charging and apparently jumped the wrong 2 wires causing the tractor to immediately die. Whatever I seem to do it will not fire.
The fuse did not blow, but I put in a new one to no avail.
I'm NOT positive the box was wired correctly as the wire to the ammeter from starter was not by itself so I bypassed the ammeter and put all of the wires together to the switch. (thinking ammeter was out) Nothing.
I put in new switch. nothing.
I then just tied together the wire from the starter to one side of switch to eliminate generator. nothing
Tried new coil. no.
new condenser. no
points look ok as well.
6v to where it should be, switch works..even to generator when all hooked up.
Something seems grounded and won't let it fire...probably simple, but looking for input.

Thanks in advance!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: 6v positive ground issue

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:07 pm

To polarize generator engine should be stopped, then briefly jumper from Gen of cutout or regulator to Bat term. Get a test light or voltmeter and check for voltage at coil when switch is on. No, work back to switch toward battery seeing where you lost it. Yes voltage at then go to side of coil going to distributor. Should have voltage there with points open and none with points closed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

cajordan1
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cajordan1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:20 pm

Found the problem, an internally broken wire from the starter back. Would have power, then none if bumped or wiggled.

Now I'm getting it to fire...but it won't start. Popping and back firing.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:45 pm

Check the firing order, in the testing may have gotten plug wires in wrong spots.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

cajordan1
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cajordan1 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:43 am

Distributor body/rotor was off a turn from mag pinion. running again.

Return to “Farmall B & BN”