This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

BN not charging

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
adamscub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03301
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'46 BN

BN not charging

Postby adamscub » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:38 pm

I'm pretty sure that my '46 BN is not charging. The amp meter never moves to the charging side, and the new 6-volt battery has gradually run down. The needle on the meter only moves if the lights are turned on, and that is to the discharge side.

How do you go about addressing this charging issue? Where do you begin?

Thank you.

Adam

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: BN not charging

Postby Bigdog » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Just like you do on the cub - start in the middle and see which way you have to go.
Take a jumper wire and jumper the F terminal on the generator to ground. If it charges then, your generator is OK - the problem lies with the regulator / cutout or the associated wiring. If it does not charge the problem is with the generator.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

oldtractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45122

Postby oldtractors » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:17 am

Try pulling the cover off of the voltage regulator.Take a emory board like you use to file you fingernails run it between the contact points inside the regulator without a lot of pressure. Check for burn marks on the points. Afterward, leave the cover off and start it . The points sometimes sticks. Check the guage to see if its charging. If not the generator brushes are worn. They are not hard to change as the whole unit is simple design.. They use AC Delco Generator brushes, I bought mine at Napa.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:45 am

Try the simple stuff first. Have you tried repolarizing?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:05 pm

oldtractors wrote:Try pulling the cover off of the voltage regulator.Take a emory board like you use to file you fingernails run it between the contact points inside the regulator without a lot of pressure. Check for burn marks on the points. Afterward, leave the cover off and start it . The points sometimes sticks. Check the guage to see if its charging. If not the generator brushes are worn. They are not hard to change as the whole unit is simple design.. They use AC Delco Generator brushes, I bought mine at Napa.

I prefer to use a point file rather than sandpaper or emery boards - the leave a gritty residue.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall B & BN”