This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Odd B

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Odd B

Postby Song » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:00 am

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Odd B

Postby Bigdog » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:41 am

Terry - I know the fellow who owns that one. It is out in Washington State.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:40 am

There is story that goes along with that paint job, but I am not sure it is true.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

P B G
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60525

Postby P B G » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:12 pm

Cub-Bud wrote:There is story that goes along with that paint job, but I am not sure it is true.

The so called "lady farmall" try to sell tractors painted purple to women during WWII.

I don't know if I believe that either, but its featured on this link http://www.linxure.net/~johnsonf/B1941.html

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:08 pm

That one again. Nonsense.

dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31648
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (tinkerbell) 1949 allis chalmers(ole bess) 1949-50 ?john deere model a

Postby dirtyred » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:21 pm

my dad said that a farmer near them in the fifties had a B that use the exhuast to raise the cultivators instead of hydraulics. Any of ya'll seen one?
He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: Proverbs 12:11

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:46 pm

dirtyred wrote:my dad said that a farmer near them in the fifties had a B that use the exhuast to raise the cultivators instead of hydraulics. Any of ya'll seen one?

David, My brother in law has one. Phil Lenke from the forum has a nice one too. Check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40596&p=338975
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

P B G
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60525

Postby P B G » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:48 pm

dirtyred wrote:my dad said that a farmer near them in the fifties had a B that use the exhuast to raise the cultivators instead of hydraulics. Any of ya'll seen one?

Ya, farmall had an exhaust powered lift system during WWII, supposedly hydraulic fluid was seriously expensive and rationed, the system used a rather large cylinder that was porcelin coated steel (to prevent rusting out) I don't believe the systems were very durable, certainly don't see many tractors equipped with one today. I belive they were refered to as "lift-all" but I am not sure on that. If I recall correctly from my farmall book there is a valve on them that is not available, and fails from moisture.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:58 pm

Yes, it was called the "Lift All"

Here is the front page to the manual

Photo and Manual courtesy of John Puckett
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:12 am

They worked reasonably well if given a decent amount of maintenance. They were relatively inexpensive for a power lift. The pressure valve screws directly into the exhaust manifold and no pressure valve parts are available from CaseIH any more.

IH evidently didn't think hydraulics would sell on a tractor as small as an A or B when those tractors were designed. After they realized a power lift was in demand, the Pneumatic Lift-All was something they could produce quickly that would fit within the existing tractor design. Given the constraints, it wasn't a bad system. It was not designed as a WWII stopgap. However, WWII delayed replacing it with hydraulics. That sequence of events may have been a blessing, in that IH came up with Touch-Control to replace it. Had they produced a hydraulic system in '39 or '40, it probably would have been similar to the relatively crappy H/M Lift-All and we would have been stuck with it well into the '50s.

I understand that both the H/M Lift-All and the Pneumatic Lift-All were designed by CW Mott when he worked at IH. One of the high up IH engineers (I've forgotten who, but no doubt an upper level boss above CW) once said that the flail mower was the only good idea CW Mott ever had.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 am

P B G wrote:.......The so called "lady farmall" try to sell tractors painted purple to women during WWII...........
Due to the large number of plants converted to produce machinery for war support, and the allotments of steel, rubber, etc. There was such a long waiting list for new tractors that they could sell any model or any color, they did not need to make a special one.

Jim Becker wrote:....... Had they produced a hydraulic system in '39 or '40, it probably would have been similar to the relatively crappy H/M Lift-All and we would have been stuck with it well into the '50s.......
Not too often I disagree with Jim, but considering where the H and M fell into the evolution of tractors and machinery I think it was a pretty good set up. Those tractors fell into a slot when money was tight, and many of the implements were reused from older tractors, F12, F20, The Lift-all allowed them to use those implements, and easily convert many of the hand lift items to hydraulic lift, without having to buy all new implements to go with the new tractor. Universal hitch with a built in lift, such as a 3 point were not in use then. Ferguson invented the 3 point and other could not use it without paying large royalties for several years till some lawsuits were filed and won by their competitors.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:41 am

Maybe I should back off from my comment or rephrase or something. John is correct in his comments about the H/M Lift-All. It did everything it was intended to and was decent by 1939 standards. But by the end of the war, the standards had moved up considerably and the Touch-Control was a vast improvement.

spadra
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97303
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
1951 Super A
1967 Cub Cadet 123

Postby spadra » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:23 am

Here is another variant: Dual control BN with a Lift All. :D

BN.jpg
International Harvester Dealers of the Past
http://www.ihdealerspast.net

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Maybe I should back off from my comment or rephrase or something. John is correct in his comments about the H/M Lift-All. It did everything it was intended to and was decent by 1939 standards. But by the end of the war, the standards had moved up considerably and the Touch-Control was a vast improvement.
Now That I will agree with.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Gerry Powell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

Postby Gerry Powell » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:12 pm

I'll add my 2 cents from what I heard from an old timer who used these tractors when he worked on his Dad's place. The lift-all didn't work very good at all and they stopped production on these tractors until they designed a hydraulic system to replace it. The lift-all was basically an assist to the manual lift mechanism.
Gerry

Return to “Farmall B & BN”