This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

More B troubles....

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
GeneL74
10+ Years
10+ Years

More B troubles....

Postby GeneL74 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:09 pm

Well, I installed my freshly rebuilt carb. and gave her a try... When I bought this tractor the engine was stuck, but the owner said it had been running good at one point, so....... I hook everything up and let her fly. Nothing... A little starting fluid, and still nothing.

I turned it over several times with no luck, so I figured I would check to make sure she was firing good.... Brand new plug was bone dry (didn't even smell of gas) all four cylinders were the same... I don't have a compression guage, so I just stuck my finger in there and used the hand crank. Great compression on 1 and 4 cylinders, but hardly any on 2 and 3.

Pulled the valve cover off and immediately found a bent push rod and another that had broke free from the rocker arm...

Pulled the head, and wouldn't you know....

Here's a pic of the bent push rod:

I don't know a whole lot about mechanic work, so I called my brother in law who owns a heavy equipment sales and service dealer, and he knows all about stuck valves and says we should be able to fix her up without too much trouble.

So, whenever he and I can both find some spare time I'm gonna take it to his shop so he can show me how to do this.

I wonder what it would feel like if things went like they are supposed to from time to time? It gets frustrating... I need a punching bag! :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

dracer398
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48706

More B troubles....

Postby dracer398 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:31 am

Hi Gene,

I know what you are going through, but that's part of messing with these old tractors. Don't think of it as a problem, think of it as an oppertunity! Just think, you are learning from this experience. (Please don't take this as me being a smart A**. It's just the way it really is.) Just think of the bragging rights and the stories you will have after you get her running again. Also it is a very rewarding feeling after you are done. :D Good Luck and don't let the little things upset you too much. :) And remember, You have the knowledge of this group of 2781 members behind you to help whenever they can

Brian
1951 Farmall Cub, 1979 International 184 with a 1050A Loader (Thanks JP Tractor salvage), 1945 Farmall H, 1934 & 1935 F-12's

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:44 am

When we buy a tractor with problems they should be priced accordingly. We should expect to deal with those problems.

My M was an ebay purchase. The seller failed to mention that it was a 3 cylinder tractor but I paid and loaded it anyway rather than waste the trip. He had obviously been trying to make it a 4 cylinder, based on all the new ignition and carburetor parts. Yep... it had a bent pushrod that had jumped from under the rocker arm. I straightened the rod and it's been fine ever since. I still have the overhaul gasket set I bought and didn't need.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall B & BN”